Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Upgrading Modem need good advice =]

• Please log in to reply

PILL5B3RRY

PILL5B3RRY

• PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
OK so I have Verizon DSL. The current plan I have is at, or should be at 3 MBps. Unfortunately its doing 400 KBps =\. So I was thinking that it has to do with the phone wiring in my house..I live in an apartment btw... and my modem. I have the Westell 6100 and its really bleh. It only works when Internet light is red. If its green how it should be it doesn't work.... Thats how you know its messed up. I've had it for about 3 yrs now and I guess its going bad on me.

So I was thinking to buy a new Modem and perhaps it will make a difference. Problem is that I don't want to buy a modem and turns out to be slower or same speed. Also I wanted to know if I can just changed my Modem like, would I have to call Verizon and get some things set up or what?

I was thinking about getting this one.

Please help =]

Advertisements

ViprXX

ViprXX

• PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
Your best bet would be to just call Verizon and tell them your having problems with your dsl modem and as for a replacement one. I'd tell them you want one with wireless capabillities (Westell VersaLink 327W) even if none of your computers currently connect wirelessly, its just a nice feature to have just incase you ever want to connect wirelessly plus it will insure that they don't give you the exact same model you currently have which I don't think supports wireless. I'm pretty sure that they will give you a new modem free of charge if your current one is not working properly but just call them and check. As for not getting the 3Mbps speed, that is normal. The 3Mbps means that is the maximum speed your connection can download but its not guarenteed. Your download speed will always vary depending on a lot of things such as your computers performance or how fast the server your downloading from can upload to you, etc. your connection will never always be at 3Mbps. and if you decide to just buy a new dsl modem you will need to know your verizon primary account username and password and need to setup a couple other things. If you still have the verizon dsl setup disk you could run that to make it easier. anyways hope this helps some.

good luck

PILL5B3RRY

PILL5B3RRY

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
Ok thanks, really appreciate it. I'll look into calling Verizon...