Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hey! True Image for a pizza as they say!

• Please log in to reply

sharlpero

sharlpero

• PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
That's ridiculous! Acronis's reduced the price to just $10 bucks.. Looks like it's time to go and get True Image now - bet it won't last long. Anyone tried to buy it or is it a duck?

Removed Link

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
It must be a duck.

Acronis is at acronis.com.....not acronis.net.

sharlpero

sharlpero

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
as I understand it, .com and .net are the same, if you click buy now it leads you to shop.acronis.com at digital river, which as I understand it is their e-commerce platform, so it should be legal!

Jonesey

Jonesey

• PipPipPip
  • 335 posts
Great! Just as I bought Acronis 2 weeks ago GGGGRRRRRRRRRR!!!

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
The offer only runs for a week which usually means there's a major upgrade coming. The more people who have Acronis at the lower price will find they like it and want to upgrade to latest and greatest. Just my take on it. Xara does the same thing with their software.

But the WhoIs for the .net address is:

Administrative Contact
Contact ID: A7VKNTZ-RU
Contact Name: Acronis LLC
Contact Organization: Acronis LLC
Contact Street1: Skladochana,1,1 office 1
Contact City: Moscow
Contact Postal Code: 127018
Contact Country: RU
Contact Phone: +7 495 4833367
Contact Fax: +7 495 6204622
Contact E-mail: **********@acronis.ru

The one for .com:

Domain Name: ACRONIS.COM

Administrative Contact:
Benack, Ed *************@acronis.com
23 Third Avenue
Burlington, MA 01803
US
Fax:(781) 222-0919

So the .net may well be spyware. Or worse!

Edited by Major Payne, 12 September 2008 - 03:14 PM.

sharlpero

sharlpero

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
Guys, as I understand it, .com and .net are the same, if you click buy now it leads you to shop.acronis.com at digital river, which as I understand it is their e-commerce platform, so it should be legal!

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts

Guys, as I understand it, .com and .net are the same, if you click buy now it leads you to shop.acronis.com at digital river, which as I understand it is their e-commerce platform, so it should be legal!

You obviously didn't look at the WhoIs information: "Contact Country: RU"

.net (network) is a generic top-level domain (gTLD) used on the Internet's Domain Name System. The .net gTLD is currently operated by VeriSign. Registrations are processed via accredited registrars and internationalized domain names are also accepted. It was initially intended to be used only for the computers of network providers (such as Internet service providers). However, there are no formal restrictions on who can register a .net domain name. Therefore, while still popular with network operators, it is often treated as a second .com. It is currently the third most popular top-level domain, after .com and .de.

In addition to being an abbreviation for "network", "net" is also a romanisation of the Russian word нет ("no" or "not", also commonly romanised as the more authentically pronounced "nyet"), and a domain name like "object.net" can be interpreted as "there is no object".

.com domains are officially intended to designate commercial entities (others such as government agencies or educational institutions have different top-level domains assigned to them), there has been no restriction on who can register .com domains since the mid-1990s. The opening of the .com registry to the public coincided with the commercialization and popularization of the Internet, and .com quickly became the most common top-level domain for websites. Many companies which flourished in the period between 1997-2001 (the time known as the "dot-com bubble") went so far as to incorporate .com into the company name; these became known as dot-coms or dot-com companies. The introduction of .biz in 2001, which is restricted to businesses, has had little impact on the popularity of .com.

SOURCE 1
SOURCE 2