Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

upgrade trouble...need help?

• Please log in to reply

jsowens

jsowens

• Pip
  • 2 posts
ok, so i recently did a slight computer upgrade and ran into some problems...here's my system as of right now:

antec nsk4480b case with psu that came with it
intel celeron 1.8ghz processor
asus p4s8x-x motherboard
1gb ddr ram + 512mb ddr ram
MSI MX4000-T128 video card
40gb western digital HD
sony optiarc dvd-rw drive
etc...

the only thing that has physically been upgraded since my last system is i did a case swap into the new case and added the dvd burner drive. it's this drive:
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16827118012

everything works perfect so far except the dvd burner...when i boot up my computer it goes to the main asus screen, then a screen after that recognizes the dvd burner drive as the primary drive. then windows will boot up and the drive isn't listed in my computer, or in my device manager at all. the drive itself will open up and the led light works, but isn't recognized. tried to put a game cd and a music cd both of which it did not read.

i got the drive from newegg and it didn't come in a box or come with a cd or instructions so that was kinda odd to me. the only difference in that drive and my old one is my old drive was a stock cd-rw from an emachines computer and used IDE cabling...the new one uses SATA, which i've never used before. Help?

Edited by jsowens, 12 September 2008 - 08:40 AM.

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Getting a DVD drive without instructions or a box like that is pretty normal, its called OEM, basically it just does away with selling you the bits you don't need like a pretty box and instruction manual. You can get a retail version with the box, manual and driver CD.

What I would do is update your copy of XP to make sure it has the latest service pack and then go to the Asus website and download and install all the drivers for your mainboard especially the SATA ones, when they designed XP there was no such thing as SATA so unless you have XP and your drivers up to date you will have all kinds of trouble. Also make sure you have it plugged into the motherboards chipset SATA controller not any separate controller for using RAID(usually a different colour on Asus boards the ports you want to use are usually orange).

jsowens

jsowens

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
thanks for the quick reply! as far as the service packs are concerned...i currently have service pack 2 and i assume i should go to SP3? my drive is plugged into the correct SATA port, one of the orange ones. i also went to the asus website to download the drivers and i didn't see any SATA drivers on there. there were 33 files found,

BIOS (5) [BIOS History]
BIOS-Utilities (1)
AUDIO (2)
VGA (5)
IDE (8)
LAN (3)
Utilities (5)
Manual (4)

those were the options with various drivers in each.

Edited by jsowens, 12 September 2008 - 10:38 AM.