Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer Imploding - don't see virus - Help!

• Please log in to reply

eightdays

eightdays

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi

I am having a number of issues all of a sudden with my computer over the last week:

Two days ago , I came to work. My computer had updated a number of microsoft updates and rebooted. It seemed normal enough. When I tried to get on my network (8 of us share files off a server) , I was unale to connect, It did not recognize me. I looked on the active user list on the server and I was no longer there ( I am the only one with access). I added my name again to the list, but it saw that as a completely new user rather than me again. I rebooted my PC and then when I started windows it saw me as a completely new user with no saved settings or files.

I did a system restore and when it booted I saw my settings/files again. The update wanted to reinstall the files of course (there were two XP security updates, 2 office 2007 updates though I run on 2003, and a micorosoft.set framework security update.) Rather than installing, I worked the day but things were acting odd:

• Outlook kept getting rid of word as my email editor and forcing me to use the outlook editor
  • My accounting sopftware didn't recognize my and would give me access to the file on the network
  • Outlook is not closing properly and I have to open it 3-4 times before it will. I have to go into the task manager and close the other outlook applications before it will finally boot up and then it invariably checks personal folders for errors, which takes close to 30 min

I went home that night and came in the next day to see the computer again rebooted and my settings again gone. I restored again. Now I keep having to restore to get my files back. It wants to keep updating my computer which is leding to my profile being deleted.

SOMETHING is clearly wrong here. No one else here is having this issue so I am thinking the issue is with my PC, but I suppose it could be something with the server/network.

ANY help is appreciated!!!

I had recently purchased and intended on upgrading to office 2007 today, HOPING that perhaps I could at least get outlook to work correctly, but the installation is stating it is encountering problems and isn't working.

Advertisements

eightdays

eightdays

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Any thoughts at all on this??

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
I suspect that some setting or software (or even hardware) on your system is preventing a "clean" update. This may involve SP3. If permitted by your company's policy, I would disable Automatic Updates, shut down all 3rd party software completely (No tray icons) and go to Windows Update to perform the Updates one-at-a-time through the use of the "Custom" option.

After each manual reboot, check for problems. This will point to the problematic update, or may result in a full update process completing successfully.