Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My Computer Died!

• Please log in to reply

TAPearson

TAPearson

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I am running Windows XP Pro on an HP/Compaq desktop. I don't remember the CPU speed or RAM size but it is about 2.0 Ghz for the processor and around 1GB Ram. I installed the Windows Service Pack 3 shortly after it came out and as of last week I started receiving the following error message whenever I boot up: service.exe - bad image; the application or dll c:\windows\system32\scesrv.dll is not a valid windows image. Please check against your installation diskette." I have trying to use any support I have found from this website (chkdsk /p/r from Recovery Console mainly) but nothing happens. I found my original upgrade disk and I tried to copy the I386\system32 file from the disk to the hard drive using the COPY command in the Recovery Console but it says that Windows cannot copy directories. I have been an IT admin for about 9 years and I have used all of the tips and tricks I have learned over the years but I am still coming up with nothing! Everytime I reboot the computer, after the Windows XP screen, I continually get the same error message and then a black screen with nothing on it. The same thing happens in all of the Safe Mode modes.
There are many things on this drive that I need and cannot lose! Can anyone help me??!!

AARRGGHH!!!!

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello TAPearson...

We've tried quite a few things in chat, let's see if we can get that thing to start by replacing the system and software registry hives from a system restore snapshot.

Boot from the Windows XP installation CD...after the first several screens load, you will be given a choice to choose R for Recovery Console. You will then be asked to log in. Choose the installation to be repaired by number (usually 1) and press "Enter". When you are asked for the Administrator password, leave it blank and press "Enter".

When you get to the recovery console prompt:
  • Type cd \ and press "Enter".
  • Type cd system~1\_resto~1 and press "Enter".
  • Type dir and press "Enter".
After you press enter you will see a list of folders (like rp1, rp2) If the list of restore points has more than one page then press the "Enter" key until you reach the end of the list
  • Type cd rp {number of the second to last folder in the list} and press "Enter". (Example: Type cd rp9 if rp10 is the last restore point.)
  • Type cd snapshot and press "Enter".
  • Type copy _registry_machine_system c:\windows\system32\config\system and press "Enter".
  • Type copy _registry_machine_software c:\windows\system32\config\software and press "Enter".
  • Type exit and press "Enter".
Your PC will reboot.

If you get an access denied error when doing the above, then do the following at the recovery console:
  • Type cd \ and press "Enter".
  • Type cd windows\system32\config and press "Enter".
  • Type ren system system.bak and press "Enter".
  • Type exit and press "Enter".
Your PC will reboot, go back into the Recovery Console and start from the beginning.

Let me know if you have any problems with this.

wannabe1

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
Sorry, I hate to butt in here, but for the registry, restoring only two hives can have a disasterous effect. please type in the following commands in addition to the copy commands listed above,l just to be safe.

copy _REGISTRY_USER_.DEFAULT c:\windows\system32\config\default
copy _REGISTRY_MACHINE_SECURITY c:\windows\system32\config\security
copy _REGISTRY_MACHINE_SAM c:\windows\system32\config\sam

Not case sensitive.

Edited by The Admiral, 12 September 2008 - 02:28 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I've used this many, many times. It works just fine the way it's written.