Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

swopping main hard drives between computers

• Please log in to reply

smc

smc

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
Hi,

because of all my PC woes, I now got one PC where had drive has failed, and one pc where mobo and power supply has failed. Can I just put the good hard drive into the PC where the hard drive has died and it work? In other words can one swap hard drives?

Hope that makes sense?

THx for any help

S<M

Advertisements

digikiwi

digikiwi

• PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
only if the motherboard is exactly the same in both computers. If not it will still work but you will have to reinstall Windows (or other Operating System) from scratch.

Cheers

Digikiwi

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Well, i did this a couple of years ago and the only problem i had was i ended up with 2 users, 2 all users, 2 local services, and 2 network services in the documents and settings folder. This also meant that the programs i had already installed could not be accessed by the new user and i could not access the old user listed. BUT, the system Kinda worked!! DigiKiwi did not explain this by he is right in that it will be far easier to reinstall XP on the computer and start from scratch than trying to run it as is.

If you can borrow a XP Cd from someone and you have the activation serial numbers from the computer with the bad hard drive, you can call microsoft and more than likely get new registration numbers to activate the computer. I have really had no real problems with Microsoft there. There should be a sticker on the back of the computer with the activation numbers.

SRX660

digikiwi

digikiwi

• PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
That's really interesting SRX660,

I swapped out a motherboard on my computer last year and everything worked fine, no extra users or suchlike. Maybe it depends on the motherboard?

Anyway, smc , I'd be more inclined to take SRX660's advice - (s)he knows this stuff inside out. But then again you could try swapping over and if you get those duplication problems THEN you reinstall over the top of it, though you lose your data in the process.

Digikiwi