Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Moved Computer and No Sound

• Please log in to reply

kathyg2709

kathyg2709

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi. Thank you for taking the time to read this and try to help me. I don't know too much about computers and how they run.
We recently moved. Everything was working fine when we took the computer apart to bring it to our new home. The next day we put it back together and we have no sound and no green light on the speakers. We checked and double checked and everything is plugged in properly. I went to Control Panel and checked Sound and Audio Devices. All seems fine. I ran a troubleshoot and didn't find anything. I don't know what else to do.
I have a Dell desktop that I purchased in 2004. That's about all I know.
Thank you so much. I know you'd much rather help someone who doesn't need to be walked through ever step, but please take the time if you can spare it. Any help will be very appreciated.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
First make sure the speakers are plugged into the right jacks. My daughter had me drive a one hour drive( one way) to her house to switch the speaker plug out of the microphone jack to the speaker jack.Second, open up the speaker icon in the taskbar and see if anything there is muted or turned down. You might test the speakers to see that they are working. Some table radios have external jacks that computer speakers will fit. You also might look in the event viewer for any red or yellow icons that may have your sound device listed. If you have a PCI card sound card it may have loosened in the PCI slot enough to not have a good connection. Just pull it out( take screw loose first) and reseat it back in(while computer is turned off)(also touch the computer case before touching anything inside ti computer to kill any static electricity on you) and check the sound. Please reply back if these general ideas don't help and we will get into more details.

SRX660

Topaz

Topaz

• PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
Hi kathyg2709 and welcome to Geeks to Go Forums :)

Everything was working fine when we took the computer apart to bring it to our new home. The next day we put it back together and we have no sound and no green light on the speakers.

With as little info as we have we do know that the Computer , and Speakers were working , before you moved house .

We checked and double checked and everything is plugged in properly.

The most telling info is that there's "no green light on the speakers" That suggests a power problem . I know with all the upheaval of moving , things are hurried and pretty chaotic , to say the least :)

Personally I would check that your speakers have a power lead that connects either to your Computers power supply , or a wall socket . Just carefully trace the leads coming off the speakers and check they are all connected . There should be a green plug which plugs into your Sound Card , via a green input jack at the rear of your Box . Some computers connect differently , but try as I said to trace carefully by hand the power lead coming off the speakers and make sure it's were it should be , as well as the green plug . ( It may not be green , but if not it would be black or grey , not a colour )
I know this is tedious but the basics have to be done first . No green light means no power . If you feel all the connections are o.k. switch the power button ( if there is one ) on the speakers ON and OFF repeatedly . There maybe be a bit of muck inside the switch .

Please report back and let us know how you got on .

Please excuse SRX660 , didn't notice you had posted till I had :)

Edited by Topaz, 13 September 2008 - 05:10 AM.

kathyg2709

kathyg2709

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Thank you SRX660 and Topaz!! I will try all of your suggestions and get back to you. Thank you so much for responding and tolerating my computer ignorance.

kathyg2709

kathyg2709

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi SRX660 and Topaz. Thank you so much for the fast reply. I will try both of your suggestions and get back to you.
Sorry about the double post. Thanks twice!

Edited by kathyg2709, 13 September 2008 - 03:41 PM.

baudwalker

baudwalker

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
Hi

as previously noted if the 'green light' is not illuminated then one would assume a mains power problem (or the light is broke!)

Depending on where you live there could be a fuse in the plug that goes into the wall

Caught me once when I was in the UK..took a monitor back for 'warranty' complaining loudly

Tech plugged it in..and asked what I was uspet about seeing it had a PERFECT display

Got home and popped the fuse out to find it dead....life and its mysteries eh!!!!!

anyway...if that is an option where you live check that as well

Good Luck

Baudy! :)

Edited by baudwalker, 13 September 2008 - 05:04 PM.