Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

San Disk Thumb Drive

• Please log in to reply

cradl

cradl

• PipPipPip
  • 279 posts
Why is it every time I plug it into my system and try to eighter eject using U3 software that came with it or go to safely remove hardware it says, can't do still accessing it or open program try later. Then when I go to other systems it ejects fine. Ran check disk on it and all is good. Anyone have anything?

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
This happens a lot on some of my XP computers. Sometimes if i do another task like open a picture or a text file, i can then stop the USB. Other times nothing seems to stop it, so i will turn off the computer, or reboot and while the computer is in between the boot i will pull the USB flash drive out as it is not being accessed right after the computer shuts down.

I think what XP does is keep the files used off the USB drive in the memory instead of releasing it. So it thinks the flash drive is still in use. I have not had this problem in Vista yet.

SRX660

cradl

cradl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 279 posts
Ok but why doesn't do that on alot of other systems? Seems to be olny mine. I had a fresh reload and then it started happening like a month later.