Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Home Network issues XP and Vista

• Please log in to reply

ClosetStarTrekker

ClosetStarTrekker

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
Hi There,

I'm new to networking and decided that as I have 2 laptops running Vista and one desktop running XP I wanted to set up a network so that I could share files between the computers. I also have a wireless modem router (I am not up with the technical jargan but the modem is not connected to the phone line it is connected wirelessly) and it is a wireless router too. I have the Laptops connected wirelessly to the router and the desktop is connected via ethernet.

I have succecfully set up the network (I think!!!! It seems to be OK) with file sharing, but when I use say Laptop One to access the files on Laptop 2 it askes me for a username and password. I did not set up usernames or passwords. When I use Laptop 1 to access files on the desktop there is no problem and when I use the Desktop to access files on either Laptop it asks for the username and password. As I did not enter usernames and passwords, how can I find out what they are? If not how can I reset these to make it work?

The second thing I need to ask is what can I do to make sure nobody from the outside can access my network. I do have Windows Firewall activated, is this enough? What do I have to do as far as Private v's Public networks to ensure nobody gains access to my computers? Is Private v's public and issue on XP, if so how do I make the changes in XP as I have not seen any reference to public and private networks?

I hope my questions aren't too tedious as I am a network novice.
Thanks for your help.

Paul

Advertisements