Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Should i get Vista or XP?

• Please log in to reply

IRPCMAN

IRPCMAN

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello people : )

I have just purchased a new computer and i now have to choice of getting Windows XP or Windows Vista.

I am just wondering which i should take and what suggestions you have as i don't really know the difference.

I have never used vista before, but i am not one of those people who just want to stick to XP just because they know all about it.]

so, anyone got suggestions on which i should take?

Thanks.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Vista is a bit different than XP and some people have had problems with some hardware not having drivers. This has mostly been solved now but there are a few problems still. I like the new Aero interface of vista. I have had no problems installing Vista on 4 computers i have built in the last couple of months.

I miss some of the ways XP did some things, like having the "file, edit, view, favorites, tools, help" shortcuts at the top of the explore windows. there are other things which make it seem harder to use, but i think thats just because it's not like the old windows ways.

My choice now is still that i would install Vista over XP simply because Support for XP will be stopped and new hardware will not have XP drivers made for them in another year or so. Of course in another year or two there will be a new Windows operating system to replace Vista. So onward and upward for now.

SRX660

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
My view having had Vista now since release is .... It takes getting used to but is worth it in the end, as it is more stable and secure (...keep UAC on ) Plus have at least 3Mb of RAM. I find XP a bit cumbersome now :)

Deppfan

Deppfan

• Pip
  • 8 posts
u've probs alredi hav put the windows on it now, but, oh, well, i mite as well vent my anger!!!

i have vista, but totally wish i had xp again.

the reasons are that i never had any problems with xp,

xp actually tells u (with a meter, for us not-so-smart people) how long things loading hav to go.
vista is awkward when downloading msn
and when i did everything changed colour and i had to press random buttons to get a menu up to let me attempt to fix it
it took me about 3 days to find User Accounts...while in xp it was blatantly there, pour moi
in My documents, in vista things come up in a strange list rather than the clear icons i understand
in vista my webcam decided it didnt like me and stopped working
..so did my cd-rom drive

other than that, its pretty good. i like the pretty colours it has now in the internet explorer!!

oh, and can someone tell me if Nibiru is gonna kill us all? thank you