Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My speedtest speed is difefrent to actual speed?

• Please log in to reply

IRPCMAN

IRPCMAN

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello, firstly i would like to apologize if this is the wrong forum, i couldn't not see a more appropriate one.

So here is my problem.
I am using a belkin wireless router.

I just ran a speed.io Internet DSL speedtest, which says my download speed should be 487 Kbit/s although when i download stuff from the internet i can rarely get the download speed to go over 70kb/s.

Is there anyway i can get this download speed to increase or is the speedtest unrelated to what i think it means?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me,

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
The speed of the connection is 487kbps.
Your download speed is 70kb/s. Notice the absence of the p in the second label. They are not referring to the same thing.

The kbps figure is in kilobytes per second which is the speed of the internet connection. Your provider is probably giving you a 512k broadband connection.

A connection speed of 512kbps (half a megabyte) typically gives download speeds of or around 60kb/s, a 1Mb connection gives on average 120kb/s and so on. Since you have a figure of 487kbps your download speeds of 70kb/s are good for what is entry level broadband.

Edited by Neil Jones, 13 September 2008 - 01:17 PM.