Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP freezes at welcome screen and wont let me log in

• Please log in to reply

kvega

kvega

• Pip
  • 1 posts
i ran an adaware scan this morning and all of a sudden a window appears saying something like "system will shut down" and it restared my computer by itself and when it got back to the welcome screen, instead of logging in i turned the computer off because i was scared that it might be a virus trying to take over my computer. but when i finally turned it back on, it just froze on the welcome screen and wont even let me log in (enter my password) or even let me move my mouse or whatsoever.

please i really need some advice. and i'm getting very frustrated with my computer.

thanks,
kvega

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Can you boot into Safe Mode?

Reactor

Reactor

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
Perhaps you have multiple Antivirus systems installed on your hard drive? That could be a possible reason for doin' this.
Do you have any programs which could possibly damage the system files of Windows?

Anyways, try to log in in Safe Mode (press the F8 key at startup a few times and choose "Safe Mode"), and uninstall every program which most likely can cause the error. If you've installed something recently, that may be the cause of this error.

You may also give a try restoring the last known good configurations. Start to hit F8 at startup, and choose "Restore latest working configurations" or something like that. This usually fails, but you may give it a try nonetheless.

If none of these have worked, or y'can't even log in in Safe Mode, y'should take out your hard drive, and connect it to another computer, where y'have the opportunity to save all your valuable data to discs or anywhere they're welcomed. Then do a format C: on your hard drive and reinstall Windows. Drastic solution, but it works in 90% of most cases.

If it still not works, you possibly have a hardware error. Check the motherboard battery, the condensers and the power supply.