Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wireless Problems

• Please log in to reply

kenpo1980

kenpo1980

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi all,

I am new to this forum and not at all technical but I will try to give the best description I can of my problem. I currently have two HP computers for personal home use, one is a laptop and the other is a PC. My wireless has never given me any problems but about a week ago my laptop just stopped connecting. I have been using a D-Link router that is about four years old so I attempted to reset it and got this strange "Jumpstart" message which refuses to go away. I then went and purchased a brand new Linksys router with no external antenna and that doesn't seem to be working either. It gives out a strong signal, all bars, but then it will disappear all of the sudden. Both of these routers are receiving an internet signal because both have been able to send a signal through a hard connection.

The final winkle is that I just received another laptop for my new job and that actually connected to the wireless last night but now it doesn't seem to be working. My two home HPs have Vista but I believe my work one has Windows 98. Any thoughts on what might be the problem because this is driving me crazy. Thanks!!

Edited by kenpo1980, 13 September 2008 - 12:31 PM.

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Does your Vista desktop still connect?

kenpo1980

kenpo1980

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
No, it doesn't appear to be. I went to Linksys website and downloaded their software for my router and I was able to actually get a connection but then it wouldn't connect to the internet. I restarted my computer, thinking that this would solve the issue, but now it wont connect again. It keeps stating that it's not connect for an "unknown reason."

Are there any kind of known issues with Windows Vista? Do I need to reinstall a driver on my laptop or could there be some physical damage that I just can't see?

Edited by kenpo1980, 13 September 2008 - 02:11 PM.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
So, right now, none of your computer will connect, right?
What happens when you hard wire any of your computers straight to the modem?

kenpo1980

kenpo1980

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I am sorry, I should clarify. Both of my computers connect when they are hard wired, I am typing this from my laptop. Both of my computers are currently running through the Linksys router and both of them also worked through the D-Link router hard wired until I reset it and got that strange "Jumpstart" message, which I had never seen before.

Don't want to muddy the waters, but I am now reading some stuff stating that there me be an issue with the Linksys router, WRT110 and Windows Vista. That issue seems to deal with the router signal dropping but it seems to be holding strong.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
So, the only case is, when you try to use your laptop wirelessly, correct?
The desktop is always hard wired, and connection always work, right?

kenpo1980

kenpo1980

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
That's correct. This may be normal, but when I have unplugged the desktop a couple of times to connect it to my laptop I always have to unplug the modem and plug it back in before I can get internet access. But obviously, since I am writing this, my connection to the internet is working.

Also, as I mentioned above, my work laptop was working sporadically last night over the wireless and I checked and is is using Windows XP.

Edited by kenpo1980, 13 September 2008 - 03:46 PM.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Try these steps on laptop:

Go Start>Run (Start search in Vista), type in:
cmd
Click OK.

In Command Prompt window, type in following commands, and hit Enter after each one:
ipconfig /flushdns
ipconfig /registerdns
ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew

Restart computer.

If that doesn't work...
Go Start>Run (Start search in Vista), type in:
cmd
Click OK.

At Command Prompt, type in:
netsh int ip reset reset.log
Hit Enter.
Type in:
netsh winsock reset catalog
Hit Enter.

Restart computer.

If that doesn't work...
Download, install, and run WinSockFix: http://www.softpedia...inSockFix.shtml
Restart computer, and check again.

kenpo1980

kenpo1980

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi and thanks for all of your help. I actually tried your first suggestion and received the message "this command requires elevation", or something to that effect. On the second option I kept getting the message that the command wasn't recognized. As far as the download goes, does that work with Windows Vista or just Windows XP?

Thanks!!

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Try again. This time:
Click on Start, go to Programs -> Accessories, right click on Command Prompt and choose Run as administrator.

The above WinSockFix wrks for Vista, as well.