Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Salvaging old laptop parts

• Please log in to reply

impega

impega

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
I recently decided to disasemble an old laptop of mine so I could remove the hdd and make an external USB hdd, but then I got thinknig about salvaging any of the other parts.

The DVD drive I thought I could use; but it has a connecter I've never seen before. It's like a SATA port (but dosn't fit a SATA cable)

Could I also get a PCI to MiniPCI adapter to use the wireless card? I can't seem to find anywhere to buy one of these though...

I can't think of anything else to do witht he RAM other than keep it for another laptop, as with the keyboard.

And the screen is a "hsd150px11", would be cool if I could hook that up or something, although I've read thats complicated...

Can anyone help me or have any comments? I'm not looking for a walkthrough or anything just a push in the right direction :)

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Optical drives tend to use unique connectors. If the bracket over the connecting "SATA" port doesn't unscrew then its totally unique.

MiniPCI is unique to laptops, converters are available but realistically the cost of a standard PCI wireless card for a desktop is cheap to a point of whether its worth bothering with. You'd be better off selling the MiniPCI card on eBay.

Some laptops use standard size DDR/DDR2 memory. This can easily be used in a desktop machine, otherwise its hoard it or flog it. The keyboard can and often is uniquely wired for particular setups so whether its worth keeping is up to you.

If the screen's in good condition you'd get more for the screen on its own than you would the rest of the laptop as a whole. Again, connection wise they tend to be unique.

impega

impega

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Ah ok thanks

Guess I'll just keep them all in a box untill I need em one day then :)