Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP no longer connected to home network

• Please log in to reply

dollyd4

dollyd4

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
Hi guys/gals,

Hope someone can help me. The problem goes like this, please forgive me as I am a complete novice with networking.

I have 3 computers connected to my home network, well actually 2 now.

Vista - Host comp
XP1 - working fine with network
XP 2 - no longer working with network.

My son XP 2 had to reset his comp to manufactures settings. His XP comp worked fine with the network before this. But now he can not get connected to the internet. His Belkin wireless dongle can find my Netgear router no problem and says connection is excellent.

We have phoned our internet provider for help, but they can not find any problems with router, connection, network or internet so can not understand why my sons comp can not connect to the internet.

XP1 - Husbands comp has no problems at all connecting to the internet, nor do I (Vista) comp (Host) comp.

I have reset my router to no avail.

My comp (Vista host) is connected to the router via an ethernet cable, my router is connected to the phone line. XP1 comp, the working one, is connected via an internal wireless thingy.

We have tried everything under the sun to get my son's comp connected to the internet. Network wizard, settings etc. But nothing has worked. He can't get connected via IE7 nor will our AOL disk load properly. Would prefer not to use AOL, he likes using Firefox.

Any ideas what if anything I have missed, or how to get my son's comp connected to the internet????

I don't know if I have included all the information here for you all to understand my problem. Please let me know if I haven' and my apologies.

Many thanks in advance for any and all help.

Cass[/size][/size][/size]

Advertisements