Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New Toshiba Satellite can't access Internet via WAP

• Please log in to reply

skyrider

skyrider

• Pip
  • 8 posts
I have just purchased a Toshiba P305D-S8834 laptop with Windows Vista Home Premium. I've connected it to my LAN via a WAP on my router. I can contact other computers on the LAN but cannot access the Internet. The VISTA 'Network and Sharing Center' shows 'ACCESS LOCAL ONLY'.What is preventing Internet access?

I have a Windows XP desktop connected to the WAP and it accesses the Internet OK. Toshiba tech support thinks it may be a defective Wireless card.

Ed (skyrider)

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Are you sure you mean WAP? Do you not mean WAN?

If its a DSL router (you can tell by the lack of an ADSL port on its back) then your internet modem plus into the WAN port and the computers into one of the LAN ports. Wireless wise you don't need to plug anything into the router, and a failure of Vista to connect to a wireless network usually means the wrong security key has been entered to connect.

skyrider

skyrider

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
September 14, 2008
I finally got on to the Internet. I followed the advice on http://tinyurl.com/6qj5re , Reply #26, concerning DNS servers. I disabled IPv6 and assigned static IP address in IPv4, then I checked the DNS servers on another computer on my LAN and copied them to the IPv4 properties. It only took 2 days to find this solution thanks to this thread. My access is now "Local and Internet".

skyrider