Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help! My computer is slow!

• Please log in to reply

surfrgrlsophia

surfrgrlsophia

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
I asked my friend why was my computer slow and he said my computer has way too many processes. He told me to open task manager to see how many processes I have .Right now I have 74 and my CPU USAGE is somtime up to 84. I'm scared to death right now. Someone help me.

And what is rundll32?
Is it a virus? But I didn't download anything bad! :[

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Well, my computer has around 50 processes running with only firefox open. So 74 is not bad, but maybe a few too many if your doing nothing. I run a custom setup with some programs that constantly try to access the internet in the background for updates, put in manual mode, and i have the updates for some programs like Nvidia , Nero, and Corel turned off in msconfig.

You can always assess the run box by pressing the key combo Win+R (the "Run command" box comes up).
Type in "msconfig" (without the quotes) and hit the OK button.

Heres how to put the run shortcut on your start menu for 1 click access.

you can enable the run dialog by right-clicking on the Start Button, selecting Properties, and then clicking Customize on the ensuing dialog window. You'll be taken to the Customize Start Menu screen. Scroll down and put a check the "Run command" checkbox in the list, and you should now have the run button on your start menu.

While you are in task manager look at the performance tab and see if the CPU usage is constant. Then go back to the Processes tab and see what program use the most memory. See if you can run them in manual mode in the services program or have them unchecked in the startup tab in msconfig. The programs will still run when you click on them in the start menu, just not run at the bootup of the computer.

My computer uses almost 900 MB of memory on startup, that drops to 780 or so quickly. Most of this is my Avast AV running .After 5( or more) minutes my memory usage drops to around 620 MB all the time. You should have 2 gigs of memory in vista so it does not use the swap file much, which really slows the comp-uter down. The DDR2 memory is very cheap. I think i spent only $70 for 2 gigs.

Rundll32 is a program that executes various programs and functions embedded in .dll files. So what it does is treat DLL files like they are programs. This lets some programs run on the computer without installing the program to the computer. This is common practice with many types of programs.

Windows does use the rundll32 when it is in the system32 folder. If you have a rundll32 file in any other folder it is probably a trojan. DO NOT DELETE the rundll32 file if it is in the SYSTEM32 folder. Read this website on this.

http://process.netwo...undll32.exe.php

Now i have only 2 rundll's in my task manager. If you have more try unchecking some programs in msconfig startup to see if it stops some of them. Do not stop any windows, microsoft or AV softwares in the msconfig startup tab, you need those.

You also might see if there are any programs on the computer you don't use. Uninstall these and you may see a faster running computer.

SRX660

silent_n0va

silent_n0va

• PipPip
  • 47 posts
It's possible you might have spyware, adware, or other malware taking up resources on your system. Have you tried using Spybot Search ans Destroy or Malware Bytes to scan your computer?

Toombs

Toombs

• PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
i think i have the same problem, even when im offline and when i dont even use or run any program, i just open up task manager and wait then bob's your uncle its a cpu usage party, i used several latest and up to date internet securities (trials) like mcafee, trend micro and zonealarm, and there was no virus or anything then i thought it was just a miss configuration that a internet security kept blocking something important or something, then i clean installed it but its there again, pretty annoying... to top that my browsers (firefox & ie) dont work properly, i have to type something on the address bar to go some where i cant even use google to search something, i have to stop the internet security just to go in this site and call for help, i even got a "error loading C:\Windows\system32\feeocc.dll" the specified module could not be found" while im typing this... im loathing vista now (no offense to the vista fans)

charge06

charge06

• PipPipPip
  • 159 posts

i think i have the same problem, even when im offline and when i dont even use or run any program, i just open up task manager and wait then bob's your uncle its a cpu usage party, i used several latest and up to date internet securities (trials) like mcafee, trend micro and zonealarm, and there was no virus or anything then i thought it was just a miss configuration that a internet security kept blocking something important or something, then i clean installed it but its there again, pretty annoying... to top that my browsers (firefox & ie) dont work properly, i have to type something on the address bar to go some where i cant even use google to search something, i have to stop the internet security just to go in this site and call for help, i even got a "error loading C:\Windows\system32\feeocc.dll" the specified module could not be found" while im typing this... im loathing vista now (no offense to the vista fans)

yous should start your own topic, instead of taking some1 elses.

Toombs

Toombs

• PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

yous should start your own topic, instead of taking some1 elses.

i'm not taking some one's topic, im relating theres a huge difference look it up in the dictionary, i might've wrote too much than i should but thats, that. plus your quote doesnt help "surfrgrlsophia"...