Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

IDE Drives not detected

• Please log in to reply

dragonskin29

dragonskin29

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
Well just yesterday I bought a new motherboard a Processor, VGA Card and DVD-ROM (combo with CD-RW).

If required for this
Processor - Intel Duo Core 2.00 GHz
VGA - Radeon HD 2400 Pro
Samsung DVD-ROM
Motherboard - GIGABYTE S-series GA-G31M-S2L

Well they assembled it and gave it to me but when I came home and connected it during the boot screen the memory is detected as 512 MB but the detecting IDE drives takes a long time and then it says all 4 devices as none. Sometimes one of them comes in funny characters. Like (RaRaRa) but in symbolic form.

So i entered Setup and checked the Basic CMOS. Under that All IDE Drives said [NONE]. So I tried auto detecting it from there and it didn't work either.

Also after veryfying DMI Pool Data (or something like that), it says Boot from CD / DVD so I put in my XP CD but it just kept asking to put in the Boot CD and press Enter. So I went to boot menu and changed the hard drive to boot from first but didn't work.

Therefore my Hard Drive, CD-ROM and DVD-ROM aren't being detected.
My hard drive and CD-ROM worked perfectly before. Now since it's Sunday the shop is closed and I'll only be able to go there till next Saturday so till then I have a busted computer.

So I decided to open up the case and see if there is anything I could find wrong. I did find this plug unplugged but I'm unsure therefore I'm turning to you guys for help.

Since I took these images from the phone I apologize for poor quality.

IMAGE 1
http://img301.images...image045xp4.jpg

That's the plug i'm talking about being unplugged. It comes from the hard drive.

IMAGE 2
http://img150.images...image046de0.jpg

However another part of the wire is coming from the hard drive and is going to the power supply.

IMAGE 3
http://img523.images...image048mw0.jpg

Power cables from the CD-ROM and DVD-ROM and their SATA and IDE Cables

IMAGE 4 & IMAGE 5
http://img511.images...image049iy9.jpg
http://img205.images...image050ce5.jpg

Overall View of the connections.

Any help is appreciated.

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,526 posts
Ok, I will need clarification on a few things so I can better undersatnd. Please correct me if I take the wrong assumptions.

1. You had a working computer and all you upgraded was the motherboard and processor.
2. You are using sata AND ide drives.
3. The OS is on 1 of those drives.
4. You did not re-install the XP os.
5. What drive (sata or ide) is the os on?

If the OS was not reinstalled, the chances are that the NEW motherboard drivers were not installed.
If the OS is on the sata drive, the sata driver needs to be installed so it can be seen.

As for the power connections, there will usually be extra power cables. Is there power to the sata drive and the ide drive? What you show could just be extra.

The XP os on the drive is using the other boards drivers. A repair will be very difficult. It could be done though

dragonskin29

dragonskin29

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
Thanks for the response.
Here are your answers

1. You had a working computer and all you upgraded was the motherboard and processor.

and VGA other than that YES.

2. You are using sata AND ide drives.

YES. But not SATA and IDEA HARD DRIVES.
1 SATA DVD - ROM
1 IDE CD-ROM
1 IDE Hard Disk

3. The OS is on 1 of those drives.

Yes the IDE Hard Disk

4. You did not re-install the XP os.

No I did not. But I do have an XP CD.

5. What drive (sata or ide) is the os on?

As mentioned before I only have an IDE Hard Disk.

Thanks for any help. And also I'm willing to format my hard disk if necessary.

EDIT~
I thought of a possible solution. Just wondering if it will work.

I still have my earlier motherboard. Therefore what I could do is switch the motherboards which should make at least the IDE CD-ROM and USB Ports work allowing the computer to boot up as well. After booting up, I could do a full format of the hard disk and then with a brand new hard disk I could install the drivers for the DVD-ROM and then install the drivers for the NEW motherboard. Now that is what I'm wondering whether it will work. Thereotically going on here, if I switch motherboards from the old motherboard back to the new motherboard the hard disk should have the necessary drivers for it to communicate with the motherboard and also the DVD-ROM since I do not have the driver CD for CD-ROM.

Edited by dragonskin29, 14 September 2008 - 08:34 AM.