Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

preventing internet fruad

• Please log in to reply

heat123

heat123

• PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
Hi I was just curious with all the stuff about identity theft now day's what is some ways to help prevent internet fruad and other fruad's on your computer.

Advertisements

BHowett

BHowett

OT Moderator

• 4,649 posts
Here are some links with all kinds of tips and tricks to help prevent internet fraud, and what to do if it happens.

NCL's National Fraud Information Center
http://www.fraud.org...net/intinfo.htm

Akron Police Department
http://publicsafety....rnet_fraud.html

As a Organized Retail Crime Investigator a few tips I can give you are:

Do not store your credit card/bank card numbers and passwords etc… on your computer. Keep a hard copy locked away somewhere incase you need to reference them or close the account in a hurry.

Use a good firewall and antivirus software & practice safe internet surfing.

Never click on any email that says anything about updating of verifying you account info!

Use a shredder….. I can’t tell you how many times I have seen credit/personal information retrieved from the trash!

Check your accounts as often as possible, daily if possible, or when you get your statements. This is critical because that’s how long a thief will have to get away with spending your money, and ruining your credit.

There are many more tips as you will see from the above links, but theses are a good start I could type all day about fraud :)

heat123

heat123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
Hi what would you recommend for the best paid firewall and antivirus and antispyware combined in one? Thanks for all your help so far bhowett.

Edited by heat123, 14 September 2008 - 03:52 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
ESET Smart Security is what I use. Light on resources and strong on protection.

Mike

Mike

Malware Monger

• Retired Staff
  • 2,745 posts
I'll backup wannabe1's vote, smart security is a great internet security suite.

heat123

heat123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
Thank you for your responses that was very helpful. If you agree with them or have other suggestions go ahead and reply and mention them want to hear from a vareity of people and opinions. Also this is off topic from the post of this topic but my computer overheats excessively what would be a good thing I could do to get it back to a normal temperature. Even when I am not doing anything or doing multiple things it overheats.

TheQuickBrownFox

TheQuickBrownFox

• PipPipPip
  • 714 posts
You could try cleaning up your computer especially the insides. Dirt/dust accumulates over time and causes additional heat. Improving ventilation where your computer is stationed also helps. There are other possible reasons as well but I'm not an expert so...

You should try posting in the Hardware forums. You'll get much more help there. :)

heat123

heat123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
Thanks for all those tips Sera. Those were quite helpful.

Captain Gizmo

Captain Gizmo

• Pip
  • 5 posts
The best way I have found is to not release any personal information out online AT ALL. You sign up for some site? use a fake name. Get an email? fake also. The only places that need your info are those whom you pay bills to. And on that note, one of the best ways I have found to keep from being fleeced when doing online bill payment is by:
1: use OpenDNS, since their PhishTank phishing protection is GREAT..and there's no software, just two numbers!
2: Comodo Verification Engine. It's free, and it verifies if a site, like your bank or Paypal or Ebay is really that site and not another posing as it, and uses a green or red border to let you know if it's legit or not.
3: good virus an malware protection. AVG, Avast and Avira are great freebies, but Kaspersky is one of the only ones worth paying for IMO. Many things such as HackerDefender, Smitfraud and Virtumonde have slipped past those, but Kaspersky has given them a good boot in the seat of the pants. For spyware, Malwarebytes Antimalware is GREAT. It's like bringing an uzi to a knife fight, it's that good. Spybot is also great with its immunization feature and TeaTimer, wich lets you know when any system changes are made.
4: Your gut, use it. If it feels screwy, it probably is screwy.

Good luck!