Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

NLASVC.dll

• Please log in to reply

mcpscomp

mcpscomp

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 180 posts
Long time,
I will need help here with NLASVC.DLL . Long story short, My anti virus mistakenly kill my NLASVC.DLL as it think the file was trojan. The result of this mistake is the red X on conecction status of vista even though the machine still able to go on internet from a known net work but not new network since the engin for network alert is not working. Looking all over the net but could not find this DLL possibly it is too new to all DLL sites. I'm not sure if there is any legal issue if someone provide me this file through this site; If so please disregard this topic.

Anyway, just to save peoples time, This problem is caused by Trend Micro Anti Virus. and the location of the file is in Windows\system32
Thanks

Edited by mcpscomp, 14 September 2008 - 09:46 AM.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
From the microsoft technet forums and from terry Downing.

How to Delete/Change a System File in Windows Vista (and fix nlasvc.dll)
http://www.howtogeek...-windows-vista/

Warning: Do not delete system files. Bad things will probably ensue.

If you need to delete or overwrite a system file in Windows Vista, you'll quickly notice that you cannot delete system files, even as administrator. This is because Windows Vista's system files are owned by the TrustedInstaller service by default, and Windows File Protection will keep them from being overwritten.

Thankfully, there's a way that you can get around this. You need to take ownership of the files, and then assign yourself rights to delete or modify the file. For this, we'll use the command line.

Open an administrator command prompt by typing cmd into the start menu search box, and hit the Ctrl+Shift+Enter key combination.

To take ownership of the file, you'll need to use the takeown command. Here's an example:

takeown /f C:\Windows\System32\nlasvc.dll

That will give you ownership of the file, but you still have no rights to delete it. Now you can run the cacls command to give yourself full control rights to the file:

cacls C:\Windows\System32\nlasvc.dll /G your username:F

At this point, you should be able to delete the file. If you still can't do so, you may need to reboot into Safe Mode and try it again. For the filename in the example, I was able to overwrite it without safe mode, but your mileage may vary.

Oncethe file has been replace you should set the permissions back but…

TrustedInstaller does not exist in the "visible" users and groups as it runs as an NT Service so to restore:

Right mouse button click on the file and choose Properties

Click Security tab

Click Advanced button

Click Owner tab

Click Edit button

Click Other User or Group and type in NT SERVICE\TrustedInstaller

Press Ok on all dialogs until all property dialogs are closed

Kind regards

Terry Downing MBCS CITP MIoD

SRX660

mcpscomp

mcpscomp

Retired Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 180 posts
Thank for your reply SRX660
I 've read the acticle before. There is a mis-understanding here. What I need is the actual file itself because mine was delleted by Trend - Micro And at the moment I don't have any access to any other Vista machine just to get that file. I would apreciated if someone can supply me with the file from their vista machine or can point me to a source since I was all over the net and couldn't fine it. I know it will be up there sooner or later but it is a mess because I can not take my machine any where other than my home.
Thanks

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Please check your messages.

SRX660

Jacee

Jacee

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 994 posts
  • MVP
TrendMicro's support page (they know they goofed!)
http://esupport.tren...p;id=EN-1038089

mcpscomp

mcpscomp

Retired Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 180 posts
Checked my message and will report tomorrow as soon as I got the machine fix. this problem took me about 3 hrs to figured it out. what a mess. :) :)
Thank you everyone

mcpscomp

mcpscomp

Retired Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 180 posts
I 've got my hand on a clean file. shoved it in and everything works now.
Thanks everyone :)

georgecebu

georgecebu

• Pip
  • 1 posts
hi can you pls also send me the nlasvc.dll file cause I also have the same problem

Kris Bartels

Kris Bartels

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I am also having the same issue, but cannot locate a solid copy of nlasvc.dll online. Can anyone help?

Cybero

Cybero

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I'm very new here, but you guys helped me fix ths problem so make long story short: take ownership of your current (corrupted) "nlasvc.dll" file and copy the one from my attachment. It works! I spent hours and hours to fix that issue.

PJ :)

Attached Files

blakwingz

blakwingz

• Pip
  • 1 posts
whats your OS version? will that be compatible with mine? Mine's Vista 32bit Home Premium