Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

mysterious: wireless malfunction on laptop

• Please log in to reply

Tom Glenn

Tom Glenn

• Pip
  • 1 posts
In my new apartment, we are using a NETGEAR WPN824v2 Router, with the latest firmware. My old Compaq X1000 laptop uses a Trendnet TEW-421PC cardbus card. The reception is fine, and the connection is fast and works perfectly -- until it doesn't.

Here is the problem: After using the internet for a while, my laptop drops its connection. It seems to be related to usage - i.e. it occurs when I am on a website with lots of images or videos, on AIM at the same time, downloading music, etc. Light browsing seems to be okay. If I restart the computer after this happens, it works fine again. If I instead try to repair the connection or disable the network card, the computer freezes and needs to be hard restarted.

The Trendnet card is using the driver that Windows XP automatically found for it, which it says is actually for a "Realtek RTL8185 54M Wireless LAN Network Adapter". However, I also tried using the latest Trendnet driver directly from their website along with Trendnet's wireless management utility and the problem occurred then too.

I have tried changing the channel on my router, switching between b and g mode, and various other setting tweaks. Nothing has worked.

We are using WPA-PSK (TKIP) security. I will try switching that off next, but I don't suspect it will do any good.

Each time the connection drops, I get this system message logged in my event viewer:

Event Type: Information
Event Source: Tcpip
Event Category: None
Event ID: 4202
Date: 9/14/2008
Time: 11:07:35 AM
User: N/A
Computer: X1000
Description:
The system detected that network adapter \DEVICE\TCPIP_{9948B24F-96C5-494B-B748-22B4A0CE37F7} was disconnected from the network, and the adapter's network configuration has been released. If the network adapter was not disconnected, this may indicate that it has malfunctioned. Please contact your vendor for updated drivers.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft....link/events.asp.
Data:
0000: 00 00 00 00 02 00 50 00 ......P.
0008: 00 00 00 00 6a 10 00 40 ....j..@
0010: 02 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
0018: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
0020: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........

Advertisements