First post for me and its a problem that I can find no obvious solution to, may be someone here can be of assistance, thanks in advance....
I have a computer I built with help from some friends 4 years ago and I decided to up grade the memory and HDD capacity.
Original specs; Mainboard Asus KN8-E Delux
Memory Crosair twinx512-3200XL DDR-DIMM 512Mb Kit with two matched 256
HDD 2x Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 80gb SATA 7200RPM
Processor AMD Athlon 64 3000+ 2.0 GHzSocket 754 512 cache
So... I bought new memory, Trancend 1GB 184P DDR400 DIMM(128x64), and a new Samsung 750GB and I did the following..
1. I removed the old memory and put in the new memory, started the computer and all was good
2. Replaced one of the old drives (D) with the new HDD, started the computer, formatted and partitioned the drive, all was good.
3. Transfered all the files from the old drive to the new one, all was good.
4. Discovered the mainboard can support up to 3GB of memory and replaced the old DIMM into the two vacant sockets, start up was taking a long time, black screen, so I pulled the plug and removed the old DIMM. Started up again. Start up still taking a long time, 10 mins, eventually it did but the second Drive was not seen by Winxp.
5. Shut down, re started went into BIOS and saw the drive is listed. Went to start up from BIOS but It went as far as to the mainboard display page, briefly shutting down and starting again, it repeated this until I pulled the power.
6. Started up again, it went to the options page with start in safe mode, start with last known working configuration, start as normal etc., but again from here it only went as far as to the mainboard display page, briefly shutting down and starting again, it repeated this until I pulled the power.
7. Disconnected the new drive, started up as normal.
8. Re connected the new drive, started up but it takes 10 mins to start up and wont recognise the new drive in windowsxp.
been through steps 5-8 several times but no second drive found, even in the device manager.
What have I done