Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

What CPU fan to choose

• Please log in to reply

KillerShark1978

KillerShark1978

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Hi, I was just wondering if anyone has a good recommendation for a CPU fan to use on a Q6600 processor running on a Asus P5N-E SLi nForce 650 motherboard, the heatsink on the northern bridge is quite big so Im worried some fans maybe obstructed by the heatsink, I also would prefer a fairly quite solution although CPU cooling needs to be adequate to enable some heavy overclocking.

Thanks

Edited by KillerShark1978, 14 September 2008 - 01:07 PM.

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Thermalright ultima-90i is a great one, however it uses a fan clip so you need to use a standard format fan not on of the ones that are push only and have a grill on one side for one direction mounting, they look cool on HSFs but they don't like fan clips so pair it up with a Noctua 120mm.

UV_Power

UV_Power

• PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
Quiet Solution + Heavy Overclocking = Water Cooling :)

Other than water cooled, if you want quiet air cooling with lots of performance, you have options. It looks like you have about 20mm distance between the NB heatsink and the CPU socket. I would guess about 10 - 15mm height on the NB heatsink. I would highly recommend getting a 110 - 120mm fan since they are more CFM(airflow) for less RPM(noise). But other than that, what would you prefer?

Performance vs. Noise: which one is the priority? (if at all...)
Color: Red? Black? Blue? ..... LED or no? .... does it matter?
Price Range: What's your budget?
Socket Holes: I assume there are 4 mounting holes around the CPU socket, right? (I can't tell from fuzzy internet pictures :))

On-the-fly recommendations (to get you started):

Quietest and pretty effective - Noctua NH-U12P
Most effective, pretty quiet - Thermaltake Big Typhoon *Note: This one is HUGE, but with a V-config so it will still fit with your NB HS.
Good All around - Zalman CNPS9700

Edited by UV_Power, 15 September 2008 - 03:35 AM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
The best HSF on the market is a Thermalright 120 Ultra by a big margin not a Big typhoon.

Water cooling noise wise is a myth, its a performance thing or a noise thing not both, in order to get high performance water cooling you need the same if not more fans than you would have in an air system and if you want a silent water cool then you sacrifice performance. Given the advances in air cooling in the last few years it is actually getting hard to get a water cool that will beat a good air without spending inordinate amounts of money.

The zalman actually gets mixed reviews and considering its price it can't beat and arctic freezer 64.

Given the current market there are four choices for HSF based on prices.

1. Expensive- Thermalright 120 ultra + Noctua 120 PWM fan
2. High-Mid price- Thermalright 90i(rev2) + Noctua or arctic PWM fan
3. Low-mid price- Arctic freezer 64
4. budget -Arctic alpine

If you look at all the decent review sites and forums that do allot of HSF testing those are the best choices, have been for a long time actually as both companies keep updating the products to keep them on top of the pile.

I have a 90-i with that CPU and its the best cooler for it in my opinion the 120 ultra performs a bit better but it is too big and heavy and more expensive, and if you stick a 120mm fan on it the cooling difference between the 90i and the 120Ultra is actually small. Also if you get an Ultima-90 get the i version which is the second revision and is better than the first version which you find in most review sites.

KillerShark1978

KillerShark1978

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Thanks for the tips guys, have gone with the Thermalright Ultra 90 + Noctua 92mm Fan, fits perfect on the board so the large north bridge heatsink is not an issue, have not powered it up still yet still need a few more parts, but built is comming on well