Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Dual boot XP and Vista

• Please log in to reply

sripeter

sripeter

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I've installed XP on my C: drive and Vista on my D: drive, and the only way I can access either is to change the disk drive priority in BIOS. Is it possible to have this configuration and have the dual boot option at start up to enable either to be started up, or do I need to install both OS's on the same drive on different partitions.

Advertisements

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
Set Vista to be active, then download EasyBCD. It will modify the BCD of Vista and allow you to add an entry for XP, allowing dual boot.

sripeter

sripeter

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I've done this, but now I get an 'ntldr' error message when I select the new XP option in the boot menu. Briefly, it states 'Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause' It's followed by 'File: NTLDR; status 0xc000000f; info: the selected entry could not be loaded because the application is missing or corrupt'. It then goes on to advise using the XP install disk to get to the 'repair' option. If I do as suggested, any idea what I would need to to next, would it be to selecte the 'bootcfg /rebuild' option.

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
Boot into Vista, make sure that there is a boot.ini, NTLDR, and NTDETECT files in the root directory of your XP installation (C:, i guess).

sripeter

sripeter

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thanks, I'll try it and see what happens.