Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Permanent removal of data

• Please log in to reply

geek2

geek2

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi,

My problem is that I want to store some data on the system disk and then later on, I want to remove it permanently(No one should ever be able to retrieve it even with the help of any software).

Will working on pen drive directly resolve this problem as I heard that it will again pass through the hard drive. If yes, then it will not again solve the purpose.

Anybody???

~G

Advertisements

Alex_Harris

Alex_Harris

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
Probably the only way to be 100% sure the data is off the drive is probably to destroy it. I am not sure if anyone else can think of a way to make sure data wont be discovered by software.

p_mii_nawy

p_mii_nawy

• PipPip
  • 84 posts
you could use a file shredder. use cyber scrub they give you 15 to test the program. it works well. opened 2 gigs of mem when i had 7 left. hope this helps

geek2

geek2

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
From where can I get these softwares....Will these remove the data permanently from the hard drive......

Sorry, I can't destroy the drive as it contains lot other data which is also important. I just want to keep some selected data hidden from anybody else.

p_mii_nawy

p_mii_nawy

• PipPip
  • 84 posts
you can delete any file folder you want with these programs. you do not have to wipe your whole hd, only if you want.
to find the said program google "free file shredders." it should be the first match there.
by the way if you do dl cyber scrub it give you 15 days to try it out. on my last post i just put "15 to test the program." just to clear up. hope this helps
PMN