Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

partition lost drive letter!

• Please log in to reply

michelle2611

michelle2611

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have a 160gb HDD. it has 2 partitions, C: (system, boot, primary) and the D:

recently windows has been telling me C: is running out of room. it is about 15gb or so. it has my OS (vista) and all my program files on it. I downloaded Partition Magic so I could take some gig's from my D: (data with all my music, photos, documents etc). I was not aware that this program is not vista compatible and now my hard drive is sort of screwed!
PartitionMagic doesn't even work on Vista to start off with, it shows an error. I didnt really care so I tried to unistall it, then a blue screen came up and I had to restart my system. Now when I load, windows tells me that..
"D:/Michelle/Desktop refers to a location that is not available".
In Disk Management, it has C: shown up in the volume section. In the disk section it also has "Disk 0" which is my main hard drive. C: is shown correctly, and where D: used to show up correctly, it has a blue primary partition with no name, drive letter or any information.
When I try to change drive letter and path, disk management says "the operation failed because the Disk Manager is not up to date" and it tells me to refresh or restart. I've done that about 10 times now, and it still says the exact same thing.

I googled around for a while trying to find a solution and a page reccommended downloading Partition Recovery. This program shows my drives, and I can even search through My D: drive's folders, and all my files are still there. However its shown like this...
"DRIVE_D (1:)"
and C: drive is shown like this..
"DRIVE_C (C:)"

Now i'm currently 'superscanning' the hard drive to see what it can tell me, but I still need so much help. I'm not entirely sure how this program will be able to fix my problem, or if it even can. I sort of figure I just need to re label the Drive Letter, but I just cant seem to. I even tried in DISKPART but it wouldn't let me because that Partition doesn't have a volume!

ANY help is highly appreciated as I just dont understand at the moment!
thanks in advance (sorry it was so long)

Advertisements

Gold Computer

Gold Computer

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi friends,

I have found it.

You can use Test Disk software(search on Google) for fix it.
If you have any questions, you can send mail to me. I am very happy because I have just fixed my hard drive.

Good luck !!!