Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Hitachi/LG GDR-8160B Problem

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi everyone, well my DVD-ROM drive is a Hitachi / LG GDR-8160B and recently I have been having problems with certain disks, for example: Oblivion and Medieval Total War 2.

When the disk is inserted it makes a clicking noise and refuses to do anything else, I have looked inside and the noise seems to be coming coming from the laser, a small plastic bit pushes a micro switch on the stepper motor board, so basically the laser is moving backwards and forwards over the inner tracks on the disk.

The laser is in good condition and does attempt to read the disk, however it fails to read the track it appears, so what should I do ? I assume this is a electronic problem but I do not know where to start looking, I've already been over most of the board looking for defect resistors, capacitors and any open diodes but everything seems fine.

And what is the difference between say Oblivion and another working disk such as Armed Assault ?? :)

(If you want pictures of the internals just ask)

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
One maybe dual layer and the other isn't, also different conditions of the disk.

To be honest I would just replace the drive once they start to having problems its a slippery slope, DVD drives are so cheap now I would just replace it rather than trying to replace individual components of the drive. Give it a good clean out, use compressed air and oil any parts that are moving and look like they could need it and update the firmware on the drive and any OS drivers you have for it, if none of that works there isn't likely in my experience to be anything wrong with it that can be fixed and for the £10-15 of a new drive its not worth it.