Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Backup Software

• Please log in to reply

littlepaws

littlepaws

• PipPip
  • 89 posts
Im looking for some Software Backup

Must be able to perform the follwoinh 5 tasks:-

1) I want to schedule a automatic backup.

2) Backup solution to be dupilcated to a external HDD (so I can easily view the content of the backup)

3) Compatible with XP and Windows Vista

4) Backup Hidden folders and files aswell

5) Corresponding backups (only changed files)

Do you know of a backup solution which can do the above 5 task. Or even a choice of free solutions or licensed solutions.

THank you in advance

Advertisements

littlepaws

littlepaws

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
found this one -
http://www.karenware...treplicator.asp

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
check out these threads:

http://www.geekstogo...p...l&hl=backup

http://www.geekstogo...t...l&hl=backup

Also, if you look at our Home Page, we have a series of articles on various backup solutions.

ghostorchids

ghostorchids

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hey all...

I am going to format my C: - fun, huh? Opine here, please. Should I use imaging software, backup software (are they one in the same?) or should I just copy the files I want to my external hard drive, re-format and then re-copy?

Backup/Imaging Software - if I need it, I don't want to pay for it. I don't want something overly complicated either. Any recommendations? I am not very experienced in the backup/imaging software niche so I am looking for some honest opinions and direction. I would be looking for a program that is proven to work and one that does not have some crazy size limitation of 4GB like some that I have found.

Download.com listed a few free programs: IZ Arc, SyncBack, Simply Safe Backup... among others. I also visited some G2G forum threads about a similar topic Backup Software and Free Software which had some good information as well.

The bottom line is what is my best avenue; image, backup (assuming they operate differently) or copy? If it is image or backup, which software should I use?

I appreciate any and all replies...

Thanks in advance!

ghostorchids

ghostorchids

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Man, I was hoping to get some sort of reply from someone out there... Anyone... anyone...

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
imaging is good for a complete backup. However, its intended usage is normally transferring of data from an old drive to a new drive. Something else to be aware is that the image software may not allow you to extract data from the image. Only to transfer the image. Backup software is good in the event of distaster recovery. It will take some time for it to fully backup your system. Then it will take an equal amount of time to restore it. IF your not confident on manually backing up your data, then I would use one of our data backup solutions.

As a professional tech, I manually backup the data I want to an external source. Just be sure you capture all the data. Bits and pieces of some software files or game files are often stored in odd places.

ghostorchids

ghostorchids

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Starjax, when you say manually backup the data, you are referring to what? Would that be the Copy & Paste method, or are you referring to backup software? Do you have any recommendations on free backup software if that is indeed the favored method?

I have an external source that is plenty big enough to hold the data on the drive that needs formatting. It is a USB 2.0 connection so the copy & paste method would take a bit of time, but it is better than losing data! Would the backup software decrease the time any; what are the pros/cons of using backup software versus the alternative? You mentioned ensuring that I capture all of the data - obviously important - how do I best go about that? I am assuming copy & paste - correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks for your help starjax... I am just dreading reformatting!

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
I'm talking about the copy and paste method.

I use ghost (corporate edition) from time to time to backup my system. It includes ghost explorer. This allows me to extract data from the ghost image that I created. Should I forget to manually backup something. It's also useful if I want to restore my pc to a specific state and time. A lot easier to do than formatting and reinstalling all of my software. Truth is, I very seldom do that except for my laptop. I use it for software testing.

Your profile is where most of your data and settings reside. A few games might have config files that you want to save. Occasionally some software has config info stored in Program Files. It takes me about 4 hours to typically setup my system after a format. Your mileage will vary. Still, as long as you backup what is most essential to you, you shouldn't have any problems. If you do it a few times, then it just becomes routine.

In the end, your system will run much smoother after a reload.