Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unable to reinstall audio drive

• Please log in to reply

xKiseki

xKiseki

• PipPip
  • 65 posts
Difficulty with computer after reinstalling Windows XP OS. I was unable to reinstall my audio drivers. Does anyone have any tips for me?

Thank you.

__Edit

I forgot to mention that I did go to the Dell support site and attempt to download drivers that are compatible with my computer but I kept getting error messages. I entered my tag so the drivers should be the correct ones but I still get error messages.

Edited by xKiseki, 15 September 2008 - 09:19 AM.

Advertisements

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
When you download the drivers from the Dell Support site, you need to remove the sound driver from Device Manager, uninstall the software, reboot, cancel the Found New Hardware wizard, then install the driver.

xKiseki

xKiseki

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
I uninstalled like you told me to and attempted to reinstall the driver and it still doesn't work. The troubleshoot in Dell Support doesn't seem to be helping me either. Have any suggestions? THanks.

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
Hmmmm... what model computer do you have, and what error message are you getting?

xKiseki

xKiseki

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
When I try to install, it says "exit error: this system does not support the driver you are trying to install"

i downloaded the driver from the site with my servicetag plugged in so I'm not sure why it wouldn't be compatible.

I have an inspiron e1505

Edited by xKiseki, 15 September 2008 - 11:21 PM.

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Which driver did you get?

Posted Image

xKiseki

xKiseki

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
sigmatel

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Try second Creative (recommended one)

xKiseki

xKiseki

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
"No supported device found" is what I got when I tried to install the recommended one. I tried to install the sigmatel is because i had that before i reformatted my computer. what should i try next?

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Is any audio driver listed in Device Manager?
If so, did you uninstall it, first?

Advertisements

xKiseki

xKiseki

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
I don't see any audio drivers listed, just codecs.

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
Are there any other bangs in Device Manager?

Did you install the Notebook System Software (under Utilities) and the chipset (Intel), in that order?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Easy way to do this, grab PC wizard from the link in my sig, find out what chipset you have for sound then go to its manufacturer and get the drivers from then and skip the middleman(dell).

xKiseki

xKiseki

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
is it possible i reinstalled drivers out of order and that's why i can't fix it?

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
It could be. You must have NSS first, then chipset, then whatever you want. And audio has to come before modem.