Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Two routers

• Please log in to reply

impega

impega

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
Ok well I'd like to use my amazing paint illustration techniques to show you my problem:

Posted Image

Everything can connect to the internet fine, but I can't manage to connect my 2nd PC to my laptop for file sharing.

I've turned "Use Router As DHCP Server" off on the 2nd router, because I read that somewhere, but I don't know what that does =/
When I ping 192.168.1.1/3/4 from computer 2 I get live hosts, but I can't access anything, and when I ping 192.168.0.1/2/3 from my laptop I get nothing

I've looked at some other topics and quickly get confused...

ANy help would be much appreciated :)

Advertisements

impega

impega

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Sorry, after abit more research I realsied what to do

I just needed to put the cable from the wireless router into a LAN not a WAN port

Works great now =D

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
I don't see why you need two routers.
You can quite easily run all that off one wireless router and run the XBox through one of the computers's own connections as well if it can't be wired straight in.
With all due respect, from what I'm looking at, you seem to be making a mountain out of a molehill.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
indeed...glad you got it to work...but you're the exception to the rule....9 out of 10 dual router setups just don't work....especially with home routers

impega

impega

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
I need two routers because I don't have the cabling to cover my whole house; with this I only need one long cable to go from my wireless router to my room instead of two

This setup also means I don't have to buy anything, I'm using what I have

Edited by impega, 15 September 2008 - 03:04 PM.