Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Desperate Please Help XP Continually Reboots

• Please log in to reply

CJM1965

CJM1965

• Pip
  • 4 posts
My friend has a HP Compaq running windows xp, he just updated to xp service pack three along with various other updates from Microsoft Windows. Unfortunately now when he turns his computer on it flashes a screen and then continually reboots. We can't log on through safe mode and have tried using something called Recovery Console without success (although we are not sure we are using it correctly any suggestions would be appreciated)
He also doesn't have the HP disk with windows xp that came with the computer but has access to a disk from a Dell computer with windows xp if it can be used?
He told me he tried using the CD to boot up the system by pressing F10 and received this error message.
file\i386\biosinfo.inf can not be loaded error code 32768

If anyone has any ideas as to what he might be able to do to get his system up and running please let me know so I can pass the information along to him thank you

PS he is a computer beginner so the easier the instructions the better :)

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
The Error code 32768 is because of 3rd party software.

http://support.micro...p;Product=winxp

Since you cannot get into safe mode, and it seems that recovery console does not work for you, i would try doing a repair install.

http://www.geekstogo...ws-XP-t138.html

While it would be better to use a retail Microsoft XP CD, i have used a Dell recovery CD to reinstall XP on some computers without problems. My Dell XP CD has a blue label on it and i have heard that only later CD's can be used on any computer at all. Mine was included with a trade-in computer.

SRX660

CJM1965

CJM1965

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks for the info I'will pass it along

CJM1965

CJM1965

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
OK he has followed the instructions, how to repair windows xp and everything works fine until the last step. It acts as if it's going to load then quickly recycles an asks if he wants to boot from the CD by pressing f8... any reasons why this might be happening?
Thank you for your time

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Open msconfig - boot.ini tab - check all boot paths, then make sure none of the other
checkboxes below the boot paths are selected.

Also check the last line of your boot.ini.There should be nothing after /fastdetect

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\windows="microsoft windows xp home edition" /noexecute=optin
/fastdetect

If everything appears OK will have to look elsewhere.

NOTE: You may have this line below the multi(0) line.

C:/CMDCONS/BOOTSEC.DAT="Microsoft Windows Recovery Console"/cmdcons

The above line is in your boot ini if you have recovery console installed on your computer( slash lines are slanted left on real lines in boot ini file, except the last one).

SRX660

CJM1965

CJM1965

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thank you for your time but I guess he won't be needing any more help he's decided to fix it the redneck way with a sledge hammer!