Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

No power after battery ran down Dell D600

• Please log in to reply

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
Dell D600 Laptop

Power cord was frayed, not receiving charge, tested a friends adapter (same as mine) and it charged the battery. Before I could purchase new adpater, my son ran the battery dead.

Bought new AC adapter, when AC adaptor plugged in, AC led is on and green, but led lights on laptop do not come on and it will not power up at all. Took battery out and put back in, tried to power without battery, still no lights on laptop.

My questions:

Does this sound like a battery problem? I was under the impression that the laptop would power up w/out a battery in it?
Is there anything I can do diagnostically (take in for testing somewhere) that can pin point the actual problem?

Please help, I'm in college full-time and my classes are all online this semester!

Thanks in advance,

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Take the battery out, take the adaptor out, hold the power button down for 30 seconds to discharge static electricity.
Apply same logic to starting up a laptop with a dead battery as you do a car with a dead battery - you don't crank the starter motor on the car as soon as you plug the battery into a charger, do you? You leave it a while to charge, THEN you start the car.

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
The laptop should power up with no battery, just the AC adapter. If it isn't, something could be wrong with the motherboard. Try another AC adapter, just to be sure.

Does the power button feel like it is depressing properly, does it make an audible click when you press it?

With the AC adapter in, the battery in, and the system off, what is the status of the battery indicator light on the laptop?

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
I have a D600 that does a similar thing, I think it may have something to do with a dud CMOS battery or some deformation in the frame but in order to get mines to start I have to apply physical pressure to the upper area of the keyboard just below the power button. Its the only way I can get mines to work and I have had the thing stripped down to its bare bones and given a complete check over.

Does it make any noise when you press the power button? Is the battery charging if you have one of the batteries with the LED power level on them you check it right on the battery by pushing the button.

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Thanks everyone for the responses.

No, the battery ligt does not come on. There are no lights at all. I did all that was suggested here to no avail. Frustrating, as it was fine until my son ran the battery completely dead without the ac adapter.

I guess I'll take it in somewhere. ARG.

Again, thank you.