Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

nvidia 9800gx2 addition

• Please log in to reply

alestor666

alestor666

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
okay so i don't really want to post all the details about my computer but simply put it scores a 5 right now on the windows index score on vista looking in my computer I automatically am seeing 2 problems i don't have the 8 pin power cable end that's needed to run the card (i have a 6pin) and it almost looks as if there isn't enough room in the computer for it (its a full tower) i only have one pci-e slot that's all it needs right? at least i think its pci-e it currently has a nvidia 7900gs in it. okay so my real question comes down to can i use this product to make up for not having that 8 pin cable this computer has like 4 extra sata power cables and one 4 pin why so many sata idk....

http://www.plinkusa....le-AD4-8Pin.jpg (why are there only 3 male ends in there if its 4 pin-8pin?)

as for not having enough space i know htat graphics card is very long and tall in its case im concerned itll be to long and large and wont fit past those umm idk what they are there like little cilinders there all over motherboards and in most technologies

ill attach my dxdiag report to this post any help is greatly appreciated

Attached Files

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
I wouldn't get a gx2 its a dual GPU solution and will be bigger and require more power than a single card solution, what you really want is one of the better newer single core solutions. A 4850 would be my pick, I wouldn't like to try an adapter they worked in the past because the cards just needed a little bit more power also I don't know about the Gx2 but my 8800gt had an adapter with it but it needed TWO molex connections not just one and I didn't like the look of it myself. Also you need to consider if your powersupply will have enough power to run a 9800gx2 is it doesn't have an 8pin for the gfx card its either old or cheap neither says much to its ability to power the card.

alestor666

alestor666

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
okay well i have a personal preference for nvidia and yeah my power supply i think is gonna come up short on that i was planning to build a pc evenualy rather then these dell computers there nice but have absolutely no room for upgrades besides ram can you recommended a good power supply that would be enough to run a 9800gx2 plus all a computers standard hardware, I have been playing crysis alot with that 7900 gs and it just fails to keep the fps up there alot id like to be able to run it at some higher detail lvls and better fps does an nvidia 8800 ultra is a dual gpu too isnt it? sorry for the run ons and multiple questions crammed in one

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
As far as I have seen the only cards with two GPUs are the ones with the gx2 tag, to be honest crysis needs the whole package, if the CPU and RAM arent up to the job it won't play that well no matter what you do to the graphics. Why don't you stick in your system specs, us PC wizard from my sig to check them if your aren't sure.

The corsair TX series is a popular PSU at the moment, and I'm partial to Hiper if I am working on a budget.

Don't be stuck with one brand, brand loyalty doesn't do you any favours, get the best for your money doesn't matter who the card is made by its the power and price that should decide every single time. What are you up for spending the budget is a big factor on the card choice, to be honest the best card for most people will be a 4850 at the moment, unless you are on a really tight budget where an 8800GT is probably better.

alestor666

alestor666

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
off hand im not sure on some pieces im not at home bu the processor of mine its a dual core I want to say it comes out to about 3ghz and i have 2gigs of ram runing at 333mhz I think maybe its ghz if that sounds right. the computer runs crysis pretty decent at 1024x768 and all medium specs but the card supports direct x 9 i want something direct x 10 that can do a better res with a higher shading and lighting settings. Also doesn't ATI use AMD processing power or somethign like that and personal experience it seems like intels are a bit smoother but it could be just me.
Alot of problems i see on some websites are AMD related with games would hte ATI's AMD affiliation cause any trouble?

BTW i also have 2 more open ram slots

Edit: Processor Intel Core2 CPU 6300 @ 1.86GHz (2 CPUs), ~1.9GHz
2046MB RAM
Current Graphics card:
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 7900 GS
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Chip type: GeForce 7900 GS
DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0292&SUBSYS_037010DE&REV_A1
Display Memory: 1015 MB
Dedicated Memory: 248 MB
Shared Memory: 766 MB
Current Mode: 1280 x 1024 (32 bit) (60Hz)
Monitor: Dell E197FP
Driver Name: nvd3dum.dll,nvwgf2um.dll
Driver Version: 7.15.0011.7519 (English)

Edited by alestor666, 16 September 2008 - 09:42 AM.

Primevi1

Primevi1

• PipPip
  • 58 posts
The only real reason to get a gx2 is if like me you need a dedicated single cable solution (hdmi) to transfer both audio (via pass-through) and video at 1080p. I used this for my dual monitor setup (20" Samsung 1680x1050, and 42" 1080p LCD) If you plan on just using it for video then I would stick with the dvi cards. There are plenty of single PCI slot solutions out there that perform comparably and also run more efficiently too (GTX 200 series comes to mind)

I also wanted to state that if you do decide on getting the 9800gx2 you will have to get a new PSU as they require a 8 and a 6 pin. The adapters I have heard lead to underpower issues.

Edited by Primevi1, 16 September 2008 - 08:31 PM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
To be honest Nvidia has just as many issues with games, and AMD doesn't usually have any at all it makes CPUs and with the exception of the last two years made the very best gaming CPUs so I don't know where you are reading it they are still pretty good for gaming intel got the edge with core2 but it didn't make the AMD chips any worse and they were still able to compete especially in the lower price points. ATI is owned by AMD now but they are still separate companies and make separate products. AMD make CPUs and they took over the ATI motherboard building but ATI still make the GPUs separate as a GPU and a CPU are very different things and completely unrelated to each other.

To be honest you don't even need a gx2 to run dual monitors I've done it for a long time on single card solutions.

To be honest I would think a 7900GS and you system would fair better in crysis, my old rig with an x800 and Athlon 3200+ ran crysis better than that, make sure you have your drivers up to date and the game fully patched.

I would maybe think about something less power hungry, and 8800GT could probably get away with the molex connectors, its not ideal but it does work and it will run crysis on high settings at resolutions higher than your monitors.

alestor666

alestor666

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
i haven't patched crysis because one of the patches lowers the enemies bullet damage and increases player damage seems to nerf it I have my other drivers up to date far as i know

yah im currently running dual monitors on this 7900 well i suppose i have all the info i need now so there isnt much need for further discussion thank you for the input

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
No bother, I would patch it to be honest I always felt the player damage was too low against enemy armour in comparison to the players armour it didn't make the game more difficult just a little more annoying, I usually bypass armour using the old cloak-strength-shoot-cloak macro I have bound into my G15 keyboard. The later patches do make for better performance and the new expansion is supposedly even better as it comes with the 1.2.1 updated crytek engine.

If you want some better performance without upgrading you might want to think about overclocking your CPU has plenty head room left for overclocking and the 7900 could probably have a bit more performance squeezed out of it.

alestor666

alestor666

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
well from a quick read on somewhere maybe this site about overclocking it said that computers bought through a company are not very ummm overclockable so these patches i can jump straight to 1.2 right i dont have to dl 1.1 and 1.2 or do I and by the expansion do you mean warhead?