Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

169.x.x.x IP with Windows XP

• Please log in to reply

stefm

stefm

• PipPip
  • 60 posts
I have my PC connected to the cable modem. Have tried releasing IP address Renew IP address. Also have uninstalled Network adapter from Device manager. Still not able to connect to the internet getting a 169 IP address. Checked DHCP is enabled and DNS is automatic and IP address is set in auto in TCP/IP properties. Any advise thank you kindly.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
A 169 address means the computer was expecting to be given an IP address but never received one.
This is typically either an ISP problem, a modem problem or a computer problem, first port of call: Call your internet provider.

stefm

stefm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
I Have contacted MY service provider. I have also tried a laptop and it worked ok. I am not running any router. Its just the PC and the cable modem.
Thanks