Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

problems with SB Audigy sound card

• Please log in to reply

killgor

killgor

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi i have a Creative SB audigy sound card, my problem is that whenever i listen to music using winamp or WMP or any other music program, or any kind of sound is playing while another program is installing or starting/closing etc then i recieve insane ammounts of...clicking ? static? noises from my speakers, headphones etc i know it is my soundcard not my speakers etc because the onboard sound works perfectly only my soundcard has a problem...

I have previously emailed Creative about this and they replied telling me that increasing the PCI latency in my mobo bios would solve the problem, however it does not so i have no idea how to fix this....i am running WINXP SP2 as my OS, i have a Abit Nf7-s mobo 1gb of ram .... please help me this has been bugging me for a while and is very annoying.... Cheers

Advertisements

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
increasing the latency sounds totally bogus to me.
is it distortion happening to the music? I came across this problem once at work, and it was that the user had many different apps trying to use the soundcard at the same time (cooledit, winamp x2, and system sounds).
this shouldnt be happening to you though. check for driver updates for the sound card, and check volume levels in windows mixer.
also, did you disable the onboard sound when you installed the audigy?

killgor

killgor

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
umm i have only ever got one application using the sound card at once, usually winamp or a game if i am playing one...i have disabled the onboard sound and i have got the latest drivers from the Creative site...it isnt so much distortion to the music, it happens to any sound playing while the HDD is being heavily accessed i think, but it is more like the sound keeps dropping out and i get lots of VERY loud clicking and static noises...i have had the card for a while now and i have formated many times but this problem always remains....i have spent along time trying to fix this problem so i sort of know a bit about what i am doing i've tried many things but it just wont go away... i gather it may just be a hardware fault ....

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
yeah, it may be a hardware fault. sounds like you have covered all the bases...
I threw out that experience with the mulitiple sound apps as a longshot, not suggesting your doing anything stupid like that!
only other thing I can think of offhand is trying a different IRQ for the card, and/or trying it in a different PCI slot.