Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New MOBO and wont boot

• Please log in to reply

H@cker

H@cker

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hey guys my name is Heath and i have a computer that has a socket 754 and i just replaced the motherboard, but now when i turn the power on the cpu fan runs full speed and hard drive or and other drives wont work like there not getting power... I have tested the power supply with two testers just to make sure and the PS test fine. Could it be the CPU that maybe giving me issues? I have tried all drive unplugged and tried them one at a time and still the same thing. Please help me out b/c i dont want to buy a CPU then find out its not that.
thanks

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
If it were a problem with the CPU you wouldn't get a picture on the screen.
There's the next question - are you getting a picture on the screen of something, anything?

H@cker

H@cker

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Im getting nothing on screen not even a signal.... The Hard Drive is not spinnng up or anything.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,526 posts
Are you getting any bios boot up info?
Are you getting any beeb codes?

Re-check all your cables and boards to be sure they are seated.
Make sure your ram is seated.

H@cker

H@cker

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I am getting nothing, just fan on power supply and CPU come on full power.

Jonesey

Jonesey

• PipPipPip
  • 335 posts
Are you sure your power lead from PSU to MOBO is seated properly - they can be very stiff sometimes.

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
have you tried unplugging everything but the motherboard to see if something is pulling the psu down?

H@cker

H@cker

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

have you tried unplugging everything but the motherboard to see if something is pulling the psu down?

I have pulled the MOBO out of the case and tried it alone and still get the same thing. The MOBO to the PSU cant be not plugged in halfway.. there are clips that click when all the way in. So yes those are all the way in too. Thanks for all the comments but do you think it could be a bad CPU?

Jonesey

Jonesey

• PipPipPip
  • 335 posts
My MOBO has 2 separate cables running from the PSU - one with about 10/12 separate wires running into a plug, and another with about 4.

Not entirely sure what each of these actually does, but I'm pretty sure it wouldn't work with only one plugged in - might be worth checking.

H@cker

H@cker

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

My MOBO has 2 separate cables running from the PSU - one with about 10/12 separate wires running into a plug, and another with about 4.

Not entirely sure what each of these actually does, but I'm pretty sure it wouldn't work with only one plugged in - might be worth checking.

Yeah i know that, i believe one is for the chipset. But all are in and good.

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
Well primary suspects then are power supply not supplying enough power or motherboard and/or chip

H@cker

H@cker

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Well primary suspects then are power supply not supplying enough power or motherboard and/or chip

I have tested the Power supply and just replaced the MOBO... the only thing that i didnt replace or tst is the CPU.

H@cker

H@cker

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Turned out to be a bent pin on the CPU... oops.. thanks guys for the input.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,526 posts
Thanks for letting us know.