Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Wireless Problems

• Please log in to reply

kura

kura

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Well here's how it goes:

A few days ago, I installed vista service pack 1 for an update. I turned on my computer the next day, to find out my zonealarm wasn't up-to-date. So it wasn't compatiable with the service pack update, and wouldn't let me online. I ended up googling it on my main computer, finding out what to do but messing up and accidently deleting my zonealarm. I didn't care, so I installed AVG but not long after this my internets been randomly disconnecting. It'll disconnect for about 30 seconds then come back on.

I have a Gateway Laptop, with a Netgear router. I've had this laptop for about six months, and this has never happened before.

Thanks.

Advertisements

misola

misola

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Try updating your router's firmware. To log into the router you will need to know the IP and be hardwired to it. If you google the make/model it should take you to the site for this. i think Netgear routers are 192.168.1.1, it will prompt a login and the default is no user name and admin for the password( double check this info on Netgear's site). Once you are in the web interface of the router there should be a tab or header to upgrade firmware. You'll need to download the latest firmware from netgear's site....it's easier than it sounds....

kura

kura

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Try updating your router's firmware. To log into the router you will need to know the IP and be hardwired to it. If you google the make/model it should take you to the site for this. i think Netgear routers are 192.168.1.1, it will prompt a login and the default is no user name and admin for the password( double check this info on Netgear's site). Once you are in the web interface of the router there should be a tab or header to upgrade firmware. You'll need to download the latest firmware from netgear's site....it's easier than it sounds....

Thanks, for the reply. I forgot I posted this, but turns out it was a virus. It's been good since I got rid of the trojan so all looks well.