Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Used AVG to get rid of Trojan threats but now computer will not start

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I had Antivirus XP 2008 pop up - never installed it but needed to get rid of it. I ran AVG (free version) and it seemed to have worked. The pop-up did not return and my start-up seemed to be fine, but when it connects to the internet (automatically via intel wireless) it freezes and no amount of time or ctrl+alt+del will do anything.

What shall i do? I can't get back into my laptop to see if it is ok cos it keeps freezing. Is there a way to get windows to open in a safemode on a Dell laptop?

Is it a case that the Antivirus XP thing did more damage than i thought?

thanks in advance.

Malware Monger

• Retired Staff
  • 2,745 posts
Hi cags444 and welcome to GeekstoGo!
You may still have malware on your PC, Antivirus XP 2008 comes bundled with a lot of infections - the system freezing could be caused by malware.
If you cannot boot your PC it will be smarter to stay here until the issue is resolved.

I suggest you head over to the malware forums. Read this thread first.
Following what is outlined there you will get rid of at least the majority of your malware problems.
If the problem still persists post a Hijack this log in this forum for the experts to analyze.
If it has been 3 days and you haven't received help, post in the waiting room and someone will get to you.

Just a heads up ... replying to your own thread will likely make you wait LONGER as it makes you appear to be receiving help already.

Edited by Mike, 16 September 2008 - 07:53 AM.