Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

High Speed Causes PC to Freeze

• Please log in to reply

nezzy

nezzy

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi Guys,

I have recently moved home and now have an internet connection which is 20x faster... hurray!!!

However this has brought out a problem with my laptop.
Previously when my downloads topped out at 20Kb's if I was listening to music it would go a little stuttered and the computer would feel sluggish but its wasnt that bad so I ignored it.

However now I have a download of 600Kb's, and when this bad boy hits the whole thing really freezes up, which is annoying as when im downloading I have to just leave my computer alone...

And its not just individual programs any program which uses high bandwith seems to slow down all the other programs.

ie. ITunes/Browsing the net, dies with Utorrent, You Tube, Miro......

Any ideas?

Laptop
System is Vista Home Premium 32 Bit
2GB Ram
1.66 Ghz T5500 Processor Centrino Duo
Wifi is intel PRO wireless 3945ABG
Chipset is 945GM

Thanks im totally stumped....

Edited by nezzy, 16 September 2008 - 11:54 AM.

Advertisements

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts

dies with Utorrent

Before we can help you I will have to ask you to remove any P2P, utorrent, or any other software that is designed for sharing or downloading cracked programs.
Your problem is most likely from the utorrent program, or something you downloaded with it. You are most likely infected with mal-ware.

nezzy

nezzy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Thanks,

the thing is I regulary check for malware though using Adaware, Avast and have Spyware Blaster too.

I will remove UTorrent though, what should I do next?

Also some more info which may help is that my system only seems to be affected after being on for a while lets say over 6-8 hours.
If I boot up and download a file from a dedicated server my system is not affected, if I do this 8 hours later though it will cause the sound problems and feel sluggish, once the download relents the system and sound comes back in full operation.

Cheers