Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

memory upgrade

• Please log in to reply

shariyagi

shariyagi

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Planning on installing more memory into my laptop was wondering what's the best way to go about it do it myself or have someone else do it for me. I already have the memory chip ready to go just needs to be installed I know where to look for it on my laptop but just afraid to mess things up.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Memory is one of the easist hardware to install on the computer.Just look on the internet for the model that you own. On the makers website is usually a manual for your laptop that you can download. Once you get whatever covers you need off the computer then its usually just a matter if inserting the laptop memoryin at a slight angle then pushing down at the side that is angled up to lock the memory in place with the clips at the side. Then you replace the cover back on. My Acer laptop had most of the bottom case i had to take off to replace the 2 sticks of 256 so-dimm memory with 2 1 gig sticks.

you can do this yourself. Just don't have the laptop running when you do this.

SRX660

shariyagi

shariyagi

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Ok I have an Inspirion 1525 from Dell and it has only one place for me to uncover where the memory is at. I have two 512 in there right now I want to change one of the 512 to a 1 GB for now and then put another one later on. Should I take both out and put a 1 GB in first and then the 512 or just remove the 512 and put the 1 GB in. I have mine set up where one is on top of the other.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Yes, you can do that. The slots are usually numbered or lettered for 1 & 2 or A & B. Stick the 1 gig stick in the 1 or A slot so windows uses it first before going to the other memory stick. No need to pull out the other 512 stick in the #2 slot.

SRX660

Edited by SRX660, 18 September 2008 - 03:19 PM.