Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Motherboard support for new ram

• Please log in to reply

vijith555

vijith555

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hey guys...

I have this mercury motherboard which has VIA chipset. The model number is KOB P4M266a NDMx. My motherboard instructions say that my motherboard supports 200/266 Mhz of DDR RAM. But I am planning of buying a Corsair 512MB 400Mhz ram for this motherboard as an upgrade. I cant find 266 Mhz ram anymore where i live. So I want to ask is whether this ram will work with my motherboard. I dont mind if it works only at 266 MHz instead of 400. Just want it to work. Anyone having this motherboard please tell me..or anyone knows that it would...thanks a lot...

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
It should work OK in theory but as you suggested, it will only run at 266MHz. If you are installing it with existing modules, then they must also be 266MHz otherwise the whole lot will only run at 200MHz.

You may want to double check that your mobo supports 512MB on a single module though, just in case.

vijith555

vijith555

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks for the feedback Samm...my motherboard says it supports max of 2GB memory in the 2 slots. I am not using my old RAM bcos it is defective..so that is why i am going for this 512. I am confused whether I should go for Corsair value select RAM or Hynix..hynix is almost half the price..what do u recommend? dont wanna get a defective RAM again..

Edited by vijith555, 02 May 2005 - 09:39 PM.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Corsair definately. If it's a bit too pricey though, try crucial (micron) instead.

I was going to say, if you go to Crucials website, they offer a memory advisor where you select your motheboard make & model & they will tell you exactly which of their products will be 100% compatible with your board. However, I've just had a look & I can't see Mercury or Kobian listed at all. Then again, I've never heard of it either for that matter!

http://www.crucial.c...fgr.asp?cat=RAM

Edited by Samm, 03 May 2005 - 03:57 PM.