Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Nevermind - Can Be Closed

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

HikaruShirou

HikaruShirou

• PipPip
  • 17 posts

Edit: Answered... Can be closed.

Sooo, I started school this Fall semester and I'm in real need of a laptop for my Photoshop class (and eventual Illustrator and Flash). I could very well use my computer for the homework, but my CD Drive recently died so I can't install the latest CS3 which is HIGHLY recommended (and I can't use my DVD drive as it's basically broken too). I currently have PS7 and my teacher said I could work off it but in the future it'd be a little difficult and I can't be in the labs all the time.

So I went looking on craigslist and found, what looked like to me, a good deal on a Fujitsu Lifebook. Does any know if Fujitsu's are any good? Or if this deal is really that good? I really don't know about them / haven't heard about them. Here's the original advert on craigslist. It includes a few specs and some pictures. I just called the guy and he said it runs decent enough. I might get it, but I'd like some second opinions.

Again, I'd really be only using the laptop for my artwork in school and internet surfing. The guy who posted it said it probably wouldn't be good for heavy duty gaming, which I don't do anyhow. But I probably wouldn't want to use it for games period so it can solely be a school computer. Also, a reason I thought this advert a good deal is because I don't have a lot of money. And by a lot, I mean I can't be spending anything far above $100. So this price is perfect for me.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by HikaruShirou, 16 September 2008 - 02:59 PM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Put it this way: Your previous post said you wouldn't get $200 for the laptop in said previous post.
The laptop you've linked to is worse than the one you said previously wasn't capable of doing Photoshop. This one has less memory than the one in your other post. The more memory you can throw at Photoshop the better. A laptop with a Windows 98 sticker on it isn't going to cut it. The fact it has XP on it is not the point.

The thing with second hand laptops are you don't know where they've been, you don't know how they've been treated (the one you've linked has so many scratches and dents on it, it hasn't been looked after) and for all you know it may be somebody else's stolen property - for the record I'm not saying the seller on CraigsList is handling stolen property and I'm not saying that that laptop is stolen. This is just another area you have to be careful of with laptops. Also it could die tomorrow and you'd have no comeback.

Adobe CS3 has high system requirements. I'd be very surprised if a low-end laptop that's old will be able to run it decently. Current new laptops have never been cheaper and will, for the most part, be able to do CS3 and a lot more. CS3 requires a Pentium 4 processor with at least 1Gb of memory. That is not a Pentium 4 and with only 300Mb of RAM, you'll spend more time waiting for it to do what you asked five minutes ago than what you want to do now.

Edited by Neil Jones, 16 September 2008 - 02:19 PM.

HikaruShirou

HikaruShirou

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Yes yes, I know about the issues with used laptops, but with NO JOB I can't very well be spending money over $100. I only happen to HAVE about $100 as my aunt gave me that much a little while ago for school. So looking for cheapo used laptops is honestly all I can hope for unless there's some really awesome discount deals out there. Of which I don't know about. And... you didn't exactly answer the question. You did, but not really what I was asking. Which is, is the price worth the buy? It's cheap, but has a decent amount of RAM and HD but it's a Fujitsu and I don't know about those. That's really all I wanted to know. But whatever. :/

THIS CAN BE CLOSED NOW.

Edited by HikaruShirou, 16 September 2008 - 03:05 PM.