Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Broken audio jack on HP A000

• Please log in to reply

Heather F

Heather F

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I was trying to help my boyfriend repair his HP Pavilion A000 last night, but we ended up more frustrated and confused than when we started! Somehow, the audio jack from his speakers has jammed and broken off inside of the audio jack input (connector) in his computer. We tried to (carefully) pull out the broken piece of the jack with a pair of tweezers, then needle nosed pliers, but we had no luck. Is there another tool we could use to help us extract the broken piece of audio jack from the input?

If the piece cannot be removed, I am assuming we will have to replace the audio jack input. Can we replace only the audio input, or does the entire motherboard need to be replaced? If either of these is the case, can anyone recommend a reputable distributor of either of these parts for an HP A000. I have been checking on the internet for hours, but unfortunately, I do not know enough about computers to know about compatibility of audio inputs between manufacturers/models of computers.

My boyfriend also mentioned that he might be able to get a sound card. Will a sound card operate the computer's speakers independently of the audio input? If so, can anyone recommend any sound cards?

Any help that can be offered is GREATLY appreciated!! Thank you in advance

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Adding a good audio card is the easist method to fix this. I would suggest buying a Creative Audigy card.

http://www.ewiz.com/...p=SCSB0570&c=pw

You may need to get into the BIOS to disable the on-board sound. Usually hitting the delete key while the computer is booting up will get you into the bios( keep hitting the delete key real fast). Then use the arrow keys to move around in the bios until you find the sound device. move to the sound( blue highlight it). hit the enter key and menu will pop up where you can use the arrow keys to disable it. Then use the escape key to get out of the bios( multiple hits on Esc)to where it asks you if you want to save your changes. Click on the y key for yes and click enter. The computer should now boot up normally into windows.

Now, shut down the computer, and install the sound card(after touching the case along a bare edge to get rid of any static electricity in your body)and reboot the computer. Windows will find the sound card and ask to look for drivers. Click on NO to get out of that window. Now stick the sound card CD in the drive and install the sound drivers. Pull the sound card CD out and reboot the computer and you should have sound.

I do not install everything that Creative offers on the sound card drivers CD. I usually just install the regular drivers and the creative play center. I love the creative play center for ripping songs off CD's.

SRX660