Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Spybot detecting regcleanr as problem

• Please log in to reply

taggs

taggs

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
Hi,
I am using Spybot Search & Destroy and during my regular scan it detected regcleanr.exe as an issue. I have been running regcleaner for over a year without any problems so I am unsure if this really is an issue or not. I don't know whether to let SB S&D delete the entry or let it go. As far as I know regcleaner is a completely safe app to use.

On SB S&D official site, it lists regcleanr.exe as a PUP. First time I have come across this term. I believe it stands for Possibly Undesirable Program or similar.

I don't know what to do.

All help appreciated.

Cheers!

Advertisements

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
I'd say you can ignore it

Doesn't seem to be malware, just one of those silly registry cleaners that doesn't actually help

taggs

taggs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Thanks.
I really am confused over these registry cleaners. Some trusted sites swear by them, especially regcleaner, other sites say they are a waste of time. How is anyone to know if they really do help or just garbage? But surely any program that can effectively erase pointless registry entries can only be useful or am I just being stupid?

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
You will find most experts who know what they are talking about will not recommend them. While the casual PC user will swear by them. You wont find one staff member who uses or recommends them here, they are just too dangerous. I have seen plenty of machines destroyed by them.

Have a search around the forum and you will find numerous topics about registry cleaners if you want more info

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
taggs,

This link gives a little more information about why registry cleaners don't really help much.

taggs

taggs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Wow!!!
Very good link. So what would be the best thing to do if a computer does start to slow down after months/years of heavy use? A search on the web lists registry cleaners. Is there anything else that can be done?

Cheers!

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
http://www.geekstogo...13#entry1332513

taggs

taggs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Double Wow!!!
This link is so good I've bookmarked it. Might just add it to my delicious bookmarks too. Thanks very much for your help. I will follow the advice in the link. This is great.

Cheers!