Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Video Driver problem?

• Please log in to reply

Lochamp

Lochamp

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hey guys, so yesterday my computer was working fine, but i got these pixel boxes when playing warcraft 3 frozen throne. So i decided to update my graphics drivers. I have a nvidia 9800 pro, running the newest catalyst control center + drivers ( version 9 something maybe, its the newest one ) After i installed this newest one my scrolling became really choppy when scrolling and now i cant play any game ( WC3 says i dont have Direct X 8.1 or higher [which i have the newest] or the correct video drivers). So i tried to Downgrade my drivers, uninstalled the old ones from ATI and installed a lower version and still no dice, for some reason i cannot do a system restore because i just get a white window that refuses to load when i go to system restore on my machine ( weird? ). I know the drivers have been installed because i can use the catalyst control center and change my resolution and graphics settings within it, but i get this choppy action when i move windows around or scroll.

Any help is greatly appreciated, sorry for the wall of text :)

- running XP home, P4 2.53ghz, SP3, Refresh rate is set @ 60hz

Edited by Lochamp, 16 September 2008 - 03:20 PM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Catalyst Control Center is part of ATI drivers, not NVidia.
Your processor, is it dual-core? Do you have a branded computer? Tell us something about it because that is a high-end card and if you have a low-end system it could explain the choppiness.

Lochamp

Lochamp

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
i fixed the problem, sorry i meant ATI not nvidia :)

A problem i have been experiencing before ( and after) my choopyness problem. I get graphics problems trying to play wc3, specifically my game shows pixilated boxes in a distinct pattern all over my screen in video games, and my textures are hue'd differently that they should be? Any ideas? i was thinking over-heating on the card, but i checked speed-fan and everything seemed to be in normal ranges, im afraid to update drivers again because the choppyness problem might return.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
if you post what fixed the problem... you may just help someone else with the same issue

Lochamp

Lochamp

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
M solution the my ATI2DVAG.DLL problem that showed up after i tried to update my drivers to newest ATI catalyst drivers was this :

I DO NOT suggest trying this, this is a backup system( main one has its motherboard in for repair) and so i experimented.

i took a risk, i went into device manager under my computer --> i found PCI BUS and uninstalled it, this caused my system to go haywire literally. I could not use my mouse or my keyboard ( except in bios ) so I reset my bios ( turned off machine, took out small round battery on my motherboard, waited a minute, put it back in, fire the system up again), i booted windows back up and walla i was back at my normal desktop resolution previous my ati2dvag.dll problem, i had no PCI BUS installed but that i got through a motherboard bios upgrade ( found through computer/mobo manufacturers website) and a lot of restarts later it all worked.

I dont suggest you guys do this, I read on some forum that your graphics are controlled by your PCI bus, so i took a risk and uinstalled it and it actually worked, but my uninstalled the PCI bus a lot of program + computer functions stopped working. So i had to reinstall a few drivers ( new bios driver, new sound driver, my "multimedia audio controller" would not function so i had to spend time searching and finding solutions).