Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

"Press a Key to Reboot" - help!

• Please log in to reply

nimbusrocks

nimbusrocks

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi everyone,

I posted this on another forum, but I thought I would have better chances in finding a solution if I ask for your help as well... My computer had a problem when it would turn off randomly, or it would start and shut off automatically. I took it to the repair shop and told me it could be power supply. They had the power supply changed and now every time it turns on I get a "Press a Key to Reboot", and even when I press a key it would still go back to that message. They told me the solution would be to reformat the computer, but important files and programs are on there and there is no back up so I can't have it formatted. I don't have the format disc as well. Does anyone have any solution to this? The computer was fine before, it just wouldn't start up sometimes but when it does it runs smoothly.

Compaq Presario / Windows XP
2.6 GHz / 256 MB DDR SDRAM Memory
80 GB Ultra DMA Hard drive
ASUS Motherboard

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

By the way, the first computer repair shop I went to told me I needed to increase the 256MB to 1GB and that I needed to format the computer for it to run. But I felt it was the power supply that was causing the problem so I went with the second one.

Advertisements

IrrevocableXenophile

IrrevocableXenophile

• PipPip
  • 77 posts
Lol - it could have just been your CPU overheating. Had the same problem here, turns out I had installed my CPU incorrectly and some of the pins were bent and it was crooked. >.<

But anyhow. Is this a custom build or a service pack? I would change back the power supply if this one is only making it worse. Sometimes computer repair shops are dishonest, or have no idea what they're talking about.