Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Recover Windows Xp CD KEY

• Please log in to reply

BliTZ

BliTZ

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello,

Here's a "tough one" see if you can keep up, I get cofused even thinking about it. ;)
By the advise of a TECH I went to reinstall my windows XP to fix some coruptions. About Half way through the setup It Asks for my Cd Key. I did not realize that I had even lost it. . I found a program that recovers cd keys from your computer at www.magicjellybean.com . The bad thing is that my desktop is stuck in the middle of setup. I cant even reboot and get to where I can install the program. It just wants to continue with the setup. My Brilliant idea was to boot from my slave hard making it the master witch has an old copy of widows 98. All my files are still there on my XP drive(now the slavedrive). I installed the program from there but just as I figured it brings up my W98 cd key. I tried to with no avail to find the registry of the Xp drive to try and recovery the cd key from there. But I cant seem to find the registry if it is even still there. Any one got any Ideas for the next step.
My windows XP was registerd so I suppose I could try and get a Key from microsoft after the weekend, But I've spent so many hours trying to figure this out Im on a mission now. :tazz:

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Belarc is supposed to give you the product key

Belarc Advisor

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
as long as you didn't format and wipe it out, belarc does indeed reveal the key you need. Hit the "abort button" aka turn it off and go recover the key.

BliTZ

BliTZ

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thats my problem I cant abort! If i restart My computer it just bring me back to where I was, in the middle of settup. If I could get back to my desktopof my XP drive I could install the program . I did try installing it from the slave drive, but Belarc Adviser just brings up the info of win98.