Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

cabn't install xp onto new hard drive

• Please log in to reply

aaaa44

aaaa44

• PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
compaq presario 5000, model 5BW220, made 7/19/00. i installed a new hard drive on my computer because i think there's something wrong with the original. i have a new xp home oem installation cd that i want to install onto the new hard drive. the cd won't install xp home onto the drive. i only get a screen saying something like: "no operating system found, please press any key to try again". i think that i need to boot from the dvd drive that the xp home cd is in in order to install xp home onto the new hard drive, but when i go into bios the only two options to select to boot from are the A floppy drive and the C hard drive but no option for the dvd drive. how do i select to boot from the dvd drive if indeed that's what i need to do? also, if i am able to install xp home what are the next steps to take to get my computer running. my understanding of computers is pretty rudimentary. thanks for any replies.

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Does the BIOS even detect the DVD drive?

Fenor