Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Why do I have to keep "repairing" my internet connection?

• Please log in to reply

dwarro

dwarro

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
Ok so I can't find anyone that can help with this problem and figure this site offers me the best chance. Ever since moving to a new apt and having to install internet again (via a cable modem) my internet is running slow. For example, online videos won't even start to play sometimes or when they do they will stop 1/4 of a way through. I also have to frequently hit the "refresh" button in order to ge the page to load correctly.
The guy who installed my internet said I may have a bad IP address. I however really don't know what this means?
At my old house the internet worked just fine. Do IP addresses reset once you have internet sent through a new line to a new house? If so how do I get a IP address that will give my computer the best connection?
Or is it even a IP address problem? I haven't installed anything on my computer since the move that would affect this.

Also sometimes when I restart my computer internet and online video work fine for about an hour or two and then all of a sudden not work when I come back to it. Or when I click "repair" on the little wireless icon in the bottom and it does it's thing my computer will go back to working correctly (only sometimes). Why do I need to keep repairing it?

Any thoughts or help would be appreciated. Thanks

Advertisements

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
Before I start I'd just like to get one thing out of the way :)
There's not really a thing as a "Bad IP Address". That would be saying I would have a "Bad Street Name".

Try resetting and re-configuring your router.
If you need extra help in doing this, don't be afraid to ask!

Regards,
Olrik