Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Computer will not boot- keeps rebooting

• Please log in to reply

Alabamabubba

Alabamabubba

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Last night I went into msconfig and set my computer to boot in safe mode. I rebooted and my computer will not complete the boot process. I have chosen all of the options including last known working configuration. I have set the computer to boot from my cd-rom and have tried using my WinXp cd to boot with to no avail. WinXP tries to restart then reboots and starts all over again. Does anybody have any ideas about what may be wrong. Thanks

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
Problems that can occur by forcing Safe Mode using the System Configuration Utility

It is possible to make your computer continuously boot up into safe mode using the System Configuration utility as described above. The program does this by changing your boot.ini file, the settings file that configures your computer's boot sequence, and adding the /safeboot argument to your operating systems startup line. An example of this can be seen below.

Original [operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /FASTDETECT /NOEXECUTE=OPTIN
After using MsConfig.exe [operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /FASTDETECT /NOEXECUTE=OPTIN /safeboot:minimal
When you are done using safe mode, you would then run the System Configuration utility again and uncheck the /Safeboot option, thus removing the /safeboot argument from the boot.ini file, and allowing your computer to boot up normally.

On a computer that is operating properly this is normally not a problem. Unfortunately, though, a new trick that some of the more recent malware are using is to delete certain Windows Registry keys so that your computer can not properly boot into safe mode. It is in these situations that using the System Configuration utility to boot into safe mode can cause the computer to become inoperable for many users.

This is because once you set the computer to boot into Safe Mode using /Safeboot, it will continuously attempt to start Safe Mode until the /safeboot argument is removed from the boot.ini. Since the malware is not allowing us to actually boot into safe mode, you have no way of getting to a point where you can run the System Configuration utility again to uncheck the /Safeboot option. Thus, you are stuck with a computer constantly attempting to get into safe mode and not being able to do so....
make a Windows XP Emergency Boot Disk (XP SP2 Pro & XP SP2 Home...lowdown and download is here...
make yourself a Windows XP Boot Disk with this Windows XP SP2 Boot Disk which will enable your PC to ignore the boot sector on your actual hard disk, and instead use the boot sector on this boot floppy in order to still boot successfully into Windows XP SP2. You may need to set your PC's BIOS to boot from floppy drive. once your booted up you can run the System Configuration utility again to uncheck the /Safeboot option.
no joy...
try this
If a situation like this has happened to you it is possible to fix this problem by renaming your boot.ini file. The first step would be to use a boot disk to start your computer.
If your computer does not have a floppy disk, then you can typically boot off the Windows CD that came with your computer in order to access the Windows Recovery Console. More information about the Windows Recovery Console can be found here. Once booted to a command prompt, you would simply rename your C:\Boot.ini file to another name like C:\Boot.ini.bak. The command to rename the file at the command prompt is:

ren C:\Boot.ini Boot.ini.bak

Once the file is renamed, you can then remove the boot disk and reboot your computer to get back to normal mode. When booting up after the rename, do not be surprised if you see an error stating that you do not have a valid Boot.ini file. When you get back to normal Windows mode, you can then rename C:\Boot.ini.bak to C:\Boot.ini and run Msconfig again to remove the /safeboot flag.

Edited by happyrock, 17 September 2008 - 05:15 AM.

Alabamabubba

Alabamabubba

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thanks for your help. I typed in at C: the following: ren C:\Boot.ini Boot.ini.bak and I get a message that says: "The system cannot find the file or directory specified".

Alabamabubba

Alabamabubba

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Happyrock One other note. I went to the link: http://www.answersth...SP2_Boot_CD.zip and put this file on a floppy. Set the bios to boot from floppy drive 1st. After beginning the boot process it starts referencing Win 98. I hit a deadend here. Do you think he download was the wrong one?

Edited by Alabamabubba, 19 September 2008 - 11:47 AM.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
What happens when you boot the computer with the XP CD in the drive and the drive is set to be forst priority boot device. Do you or don't you get the blue screen with Setup at the top. Can you enter Recovery Console?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

Set the bios to boot from floppy drive 1st. After beginning the boot process it starts referencing Win 98. I hit a deadend here. Do you think he download was the wrong one?

yep...get the xp version

Alabamabubba

Alabamabubba

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Yes, I can get to the blue recovery screen with either the 6 ea. floppy boot disk or the win xp cdrom. I have had no luck from this point forward. I tried choosin "R" and went to the c: Once there I tried to rename my C:\Boot.ini file to another name like C:\Boot.ini.bak. I used the command- ren C:\Boot.ini Boot.ini.bak to attempt to rename the file. It did not work because the file was not found.

Any ideas as to what I need to do next?

Thanks, Bill

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Another way to rebuild the boot.ini file is to do the following:

Turn on your computer and boot with the floppies you created. At the first screen where you have to enter input, hit R to enter the Recovery Console. Then you will have to hit 1 to log into your windows installation and then just hit Enter for the Administrator password because it is normally blank unless you changed it. Once you are at the command prompt C:\WINDOWS I want you to type each of the following, hitting enter after each line:
  • attrib -s -h -r c:\boot.ini
  • del c:\boot.ini
  • bootcfg /rebuild
  • fixboot

Now type Exit and take out the floppy disk. Your computer will reboot itself. Post back how things are going.

-------------------------

Fenor

Edited by Fenor, 22 September 2008 - 07:36 AM.

Alabamabubba

Alabamabubba

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
One thing I just thought about is I have to 80 gb hard drives configured in a RAID Stripe configuration. Sorry I did not mention this earlier. Does this change anything I need to do?

Alabamabubba

Alabamabubba

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I loaded the RAID drivers and was finally able to get to the c:\windows and entered

•attrib -s -h -r c:\boot.ini
•del c:\boot.ini
•bootcfg /rebuild
•fixboot

I am now able to boot up! Thank you for your help. I have Windows up and running and have not tried to reboot. Should I do anything before rebooting?

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
A couple 'Hail Marys' couldn't hurt...

:)

Glad it's working now! :)